MBK Hydro Oil Change

gettinby

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's time to change hydro oil for the first time and I have a question that I don't think has been addressed in these forums.

After draining old oil and changing filters, the Walker manual says to refill the (Hydro Gear) drives through a very small hole at the top of each drive. Would it be possible to refill through the expansion tank instead? It seems that there are several advantages to this approach, at least from my perspective. First, one would not have to disconnect hoses leading from the expansion tank and remove fittings at the top of each drive, which should greatly reduce chances of getting any dirt inside the drives. Also, one would not have to find a funnel tiny enough to get inside the small holes (which I believe are ~1/4"). And finally, one would not have to worry about the possibility that dirt may be hard to see and completely remove from the funnel, particularly in the tiny necked down section. FWIW, the expansion tank spout is large enough that one could carefully pour oil from a new container into it without using a funnel at all.

Thanks in advance!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I would not know if you could or couldn't but I'd think doing it by the book is to ensure the pump doesn't run dry at the initial restart.

gettinby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had hoped that gravity would take over and refill the drives, but there may be a chance that air could be trapped leaving the drives dry at startup. So, following the book might be the best way to go.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I could never find a funnel small enough to fit that hole so I made one myself. Picture attached. Went from 5 minutes for each pour to 5 minutes to fill entire drive. I placed the homemade funnel in hole then filed with oil. Lift funnel about half and inch and oil pours right in without have to burp the air trying to come back out. Windex and toothbrush then compressed air to clean the drive before you start. I have EZT so mine is a little different but I removed both drives and wheels as a unit then drained and filled when removed from mower. Was much easier then trying to get to it on mower. I know this because I had to top them off after bleeding air from system.

home made funnel.jpg

gettinby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, BlazNT. Great suggestions.

Basic service really shouldn't be so tricky.