Homemade Exhaust System

mtcjayne

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to place a 3 HP gas engine in the back seat of my car. I want to route exhaust to the underside of the vehicle via opening a hole in the floor and ultimately to the rear like my car exhaust.

How can I protect my car interior and underside from hot exhaust pipes?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Doesn't everybody want to mount a 3 horse motor in the back seat of there car??? You can dream you are mowing the lawn while driving down the road. Now I mounted my 3 horse engine in the front seat which makes it a lot easer to start. :laughing: Now back in my earlier years I recall working on a knife sharpeners step van who had a small engine mounted in the van to run a grinder. He ran flex pipe under the van.

RhettWS

Threads
Is this a joke??? Why would anyone want to mount a small engine in the back seat of their car. :confused2: Inquiring minds want to know.

Rocky J

Threads
Doesn't everybody want to mount a 3 horse motor in the back seat of there car??? You can dream you are mowing the lawn while driving down the road. Now I mounted my 3 horse engine in the front seat which makes it a lot easer to start. :laughing: Now back in my earlier years I recall working on a knife sharpeners step van who had a small engine mounted in the van to run a grinder. He ran flex pipe under the van.

Mine is in the front seat because the wood stove is in the back seat and yes it is easier to start up there. I hope he will take this in the humor we intended it in, because he does have my interest, It has to be a generator to charge batteries or something. I would think flex pipe with fiberglass insulation wrap inside the car and under just clamp it to the exhaust that is there and doesn't cause a problem.

mtcjayne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this a joke??? Why would anyone want to mount a small engine in the back seat of their car. :confused2: Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey RhettWS. I have a belt driven air pump I'd like to use with the engine- while the car is parked of course.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey RhettWS. I have a belt driven air pump I'd like to use with the engine- while the car is parked of course.

So what kind of car are you using this in and what do you need a air pump for ? I will take a guess that it's for compressed air. Yes I did take this post as humor because this is more of a mower forum.

mtcjayne

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what kind of car are you using this in and what do you need a air pump for ? I will take a guess that it's for compressed air. Yes I did take this post as humor because this is more of a mower forum.

This is for a Chevrolet Impala, and I need the air pump for my tools. I used to use an electric one but it has reached the end of its life. The tools will sit in my car anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot. There are no passenger seats in this car.

Oh and I understand this is a lawnmower forum. I hoped it was a good place to discuss exhaust design for small engines if I kept it a little bit applicable to riding mowers too.

RhettWS

Threads
Gotcha,

So its is a portable shop so to speak. Thought you were up to no good!!!:laughing: Maybe hooking it up to a chipper like in the movie Fargo. Sounds like a job for a sawzall and other fun tools. Be sure to take pictures and post with your progress. This should be interesting.

Heat shielding is available on the web. I plan to build a heat shield for my mower and I was looking into this stuff to reflect the radiant heat away from the engine block. You will still get have a pretty high level of heat from the engine block itself so make sure to mount it with plenty of space on all sides.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They also make a exhaust wrap for motorcycles.

Pumper54

Threads
Sounds like you are building a gas powered air compressor, why don't you just remove it from your vehicle and then run it? Much easier and safer then trying to mount it inside the car. Tube inside tube with an airspace around the exhaust will go a long way to keeping the outer pipe cooler.
Tom