Hard starting RZT50

jk3700

Threads
I have an RZT50 zero turn that will not start without a lot of cranking when it is cold or has been sitting at least overnite. If it is warm, it starts just fine. I can get by this situating by removing the air filter and giving it a shot of ether. It takes right off. Is this just my unit or are all cubs cold blooded. Btw, I have my old cub rider, a 1024 50", that has the same issue. Oh, both chokes do not kill the engine when fully on. Is this the problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the choke may not be closing all the way, which will cause hard cold starts. If you have the single throttle/choke control it is normal for the cable to move or need adjusted down where it connect to the engine. Loosen the cable clamp, most the throttle control to the choke position, and pull the cable tight until it stops, and while holding it retighten the clamp.

Jimmiew37

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried several things to get mine to choke properly, If it chokes, it then runs at high idle and will not decelerate down. Had dealer do an adjustment, and it still will not start in cold weather without manual holding the choke rod on the carb. up by hand.
I have the combined throttle and choke, and I am thinking of getting another cable and installing it for the choke.
I am so unhappy with this CCadet.

ddog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried several things to get mine to choke properly, If it chokes, it then runs at high idle and will not decelerate down. Had dealer do an adjustment, and it still will not start in cold weather without manual holding the choke rod on the carb. up by hand.
I have the combined throttle and choke, and I am thinking of getting another cable and installing it for the choke.
I am so unhappy with this CCadet.

Make sue the spark plug is clean, not oily etc.. Weak spark can cause hard start. Correct mixture won't be much help, so don't dwell only on the choke. Or problem could be poor compression due to burned valve, worn rings and the like. All of these conditions can be overcome temporarily with fuel adjustments but then the problem really never goes away. Look for other symptoms when the engine is running, such as blue smoke, black smoke, misfire, loss of power, lagging when opening the throttle fast, or spark timing. These symptoms can point to other problems with the engine that can result in hard starting and more.

Jimmiew37

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sue the spark plug is clean, not oily etc.. Weak spark can cause hard start. Correct mixture won't be much help, so don't dwell only on the choke. Or problem could be poor compression due to burned valve, worn rings and the like. All of these conditions can be overcome temporarily with fuel adjustments but then the problem really never goes away. Look for other symptoms when the engine is running, such as blue smoke, black smoke, misfire, loss of power, lagging when opening the throttle fast, or spark timing. These symptoms can point to other problems with the engine that can result in hard starting and more.

Thanks so much for replying. I have the throttle cable set now for a decent Idle, and I open the hood, pull up the choke lever, and it starts. It only has 146 hours, but out of warranty. Other than that it works fine.