Kohler CV16S Internal Governor Repair

Cv16s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I have a Crafstman riding mower with a Kohler CV16S engine. When I start the mower the engine revs to wide open throttle. If I move the arm connected between the carburetor and cross shaft the engine speed responds appropriately. I pulled the engine and this is what I saw.

I replaced the thimble looking piece, reassembled the motor and everything, started the mower and the engine again revved high. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep this thimble piece between the counterweight shaft and cross shaft from becoming dislodged?

Thank you for your time.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Cv16s

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you may have to replace the governor gear if it can be pull off at this time. This manual may be of help to you.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf

I'm not sure that I need to replace the gear itself; it is in good condition but I can pull it upward a little bit and I'm not sure if that is normal. I did notice that my spring on the throttle control arm is in hole #3. OEM setting is #2 so I will change that. It just seems like the thimble piece as pictured keeps coming off the shaft located between the counter weights.

cashman

Threads
You'll have to replace the gear. The problem you are having is the center of the gear is worn and not locking into the indention on the governor shaft and causing the gear to ride up and pushing the button (thimble) off the shaft when the engine is started. It's a good idea to go ahead and replace the shaft also. If you replace the shaft, measure the height of the end of the shaft from the sump before you remove it and install the new shaft at the same height.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a close look at the bob weights and the plunger .
The flange on the plunger ( thimble if you like ) is pushed up by the long arm on one bob weight and retained by the short arm of the opposite bob weight.
The govenor shaft should always be pushing down on the thimble