Gator vs Regular Blades

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And what I forgot to mention is the size range of the clippings will be large with std blades than it will be with a Gator.
Thus the standard blade spreads the clippings over a wider area than Gators.
However 2 days latter those "clumps" of Gator clipping will be gone while the regular clippings will still be there blanketing the grass

BoylermanCT

Threads
I used Gator blades on my Craftsman lawn tractor, and loved them. Put a set on my Raptor SD, and they tended to clog up the deck, and I had to scrape the deck each time I mowed. Switched to high lift blades, and no more scraping the deck and much better discharge. I won't go back to the Gators on the Raptor SD. I think the issue is the Raptor SD blades spin faster than the lawn tractor, and the faster speed tends to blend the grass too much, creating a stickier discharge which coats the deck. I always mow in the afternoon, so its not that the grass is too wet.

I still use the lawn tractor in the fall when I am doing leaves. The Gator blades pulverize the leaves to dust.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I use high lift blades on a z master with a mulch kit installed. Couldn't ask for a better result. Except for the dust lol.. I do have gator blades on a JD they work good on it .

Alton R

Threads
Just put a set of Gator blades on my Scag so I could grind up my leafs, works good, do the Gator blades work as good for lawn mowing as the blades that Scag put on their mowers from the factory?

Or should I change them back out in the spring?

Just put a set of Gator blades on my Scag so I could grind up my leafs, works good, do the Gator blades work as good for lawn mowing as the blades that Scag put on their mowers from the factory?

Or should I change them back out in the spring?
I find when cutting high grass with mulching blades it doesn't wrap around my spindles.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have gator style blades in my 61" ferris. I side discharge. Cut is as good as the factory blades. The clippings are finer than the stock blades. They have the fusion edge and stay sharper much longer than the stock marbain blades. I have not tried to much with them.

MikePA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once I tried them, I've never looked back. Much finer clippings. Never had a problem with dispersal.

fixit1ddh

Threads
Once I tried them, I've never looked back. Much finer clippings. Never had a problem with dispersal.
Biggest problem with gator blades is they like to quit making them for lawn equipment. Making a good unit with gator blades worthless without. I will never BUY a OREGON Product again. The ones I had left over were cut up and are trailer hitches now. When I sent OREGON a email asking about the blades. Got a VERY RUDE answer back. Now I enjoy cutting up them NOS gators and welding them into something more useful.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The factory Scag blades or their generic equivalents are better for use during the growing season. The Gator blades are fine early or late in the season. If you use the G6 blades, you are going to get a lot of front blowout. You and your machine will be covered in dust and clippings.