Electric Impact Wrench for Changing Blades

RustyBoy

Threads
Since I'm unable to manually remove blade nuts, I'm thinking of buying an electric impact wrench. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a total of about 11" of clearance when mower is jacked so size is important (not too wide). Want to go as least expensive as possible but not buy something that won't do the job of torquing up to around 150 ft. lbs. I thought of going cordless but I will only use it maybe twice a year so I prefer electric versus battery and don't have a compressor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rent one to remove them then return it to the rental and save your money for a torque wrench. Torque the nuts to about 75 lbs. with oiled threads.

RustyBoy

Threads
Great idea! I'll call about renting one. My blade nut torque has a range of 115 to 165 ft. lbs.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Rent one to remove them then return it to the rental and save your money for a torque wrench. Torque the nuts to about 75 lbs. with oiled threads.

Check the owners manual for torque specs. My mowers calls for well over 75

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have a Ryobi One 18 volt impact driver that will loosen any nut I have thrown at it. Great tool.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great idea! I'll call about renting one. My blade nut torque has a range of 115 to 165 ft. lbs.
While renting the impact, rent a torque wrench too and get a feel for the 75 # torque then you'll never need either of them again.

I've had people bring mowers to me, even though I don't operate a shop, to have the blades(s) removed. I have my own impact method which doesn't involve electric or air and it hasn't ever failed.

Attachments

• John Deere impact deck 2011.JPG
    John Deere impact deck 2011.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 36

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had an electric that I bought from Walmart years ago and used it for a long time with great results. They are much cheaper than a cordless one and the one I had did an excellent job. I have also seen some that you plug into a cigarette lighter that are 12 volt that will probably do the job you want as well.

RustyBoy

Threads
Whichever one I use, I only have just over 11" of clearance from the floor to the blade nut. Many of the electric impact wrenches exceed the 11" width and unable to fit. The only one with some power I've found so far that may work is a Kwasaki with supposedly 220 ft. lbs. at HD for $71. I do have a torque wrench but really unable to use it while lying on the floor and trying to hold the blades from turning. Someone mentioned at another post to just hit the nut once or twice with impact wrench and that should do it. The last time I changed the blades was with help from neighbor and is air gun, used to remove and install with probably too much torque. I bought a 120 ft. lb. torque stick but would only be able to use with a narrow wrench, like the Ryobi battery. I do like the idea of the Ryobi cordless if that would remove the nuts without much trouble, but for using it just maybe twice each year, not sure if battery is the best option - but its size is perfect, just over 4" wide. A powerful enough electric with not much width would be perfect as I still need the socket which will add some width.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're making this way more difficult than it needs to be with all the blade turning problems and such. Build yourself a blade blocker or on some mowers a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe slipped on a blade will block a blade from turning. I'm an old man and sharpen my blades at least 10 times a season without all that equipment you seem to need. I refuse to mow with dull blades.

RustyBoy

Threads
I have a Ryobi One 18 volt impact driver that will loosen any nut I have thrown at it. Great tool.

I did note that Ryobi makes a nice tool and is just under 8" wide, perfect for what I need. How long have you had it? Ryobi claims 300 ft. lbs. on their latest model and 200 on their previous - which one do you have? What torque is recommended for your mower blades?