Repairs LT 166 with an oil leak from the transmission

sadgrove

Threads
I've had this machine since new in 1999 and have only had to do basic maintenance.

I recently noticed oil under the machine which appears to be coming from the hydrostatic transmission.

Has anyone run into this issue and if yes would it likely be a gasket or something else?

The oil leak is not obvious and must have been happening for some time since most of the transmission is covered in dirt and oil.

I have a hoist so working under the machine is not a problem so I was going to clean it up and let it run. Do I need to jack up the back wheels so that the wheels are turning to locate the problem?

Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you think leak is coming from top of transmission I would remove seat deck first for better observation, breather plug etc. may be loose.

mjb8fj

Threads
I have a couple of these mowers myself, I tore one down last month. There aren't any gaskets on them. there are seals on the outer ends of the transmission housing for the axles, and the main plate for the internal parts is basically glued on with 3bond (or most commonly known as Honda bond, very good gasket sealer made to withstand oil). I think the only other place was on the main input shaft has a sealed bearing on it.

mjb8fj

Threads
also- I noticed that parts are not really available for these transmissions. Most of the ones I work on, ppl said the dealership wants to replace the transmission and not work on them. $1400 is what they are charging around here. I looked around and found the manufactuer and they do sell parts. (I had one that needed an axle, the axle shaft was $25 from them.) Only thing I found that was bad from them, was they are in Japan, so a $25 part, needs $20 for shipping and two weeks of waiting.

sadgrove

Threads
also- I noticed that parts are not really available for these transmissions. Most of the ones I work on, ppl said the dealership wants to replace the transmission and not work on them. $1400 is what they are charging around here. I looked around and found the manufactuer and they do sell parts. (I had one that needed an axle, the axle shaft was $25 from them.) Only thing I found that was bad from them, was they are in Japan, so a $25 part, needs $20 for shipping and two weeks of waiting.

Thanks for the information.

I guess I could run it till the fluid is all gone and then look for a used transmission or at $1,400 for a replacement I could buy a new mower for less than $2,000.

This mower has lasted me well and cut a lot of grass over the past 17 years and the engine still starts and runs well.:smile:

sadgrove

Threads
Thanks for the information.

I guess I could run it till the fluid is all gone and then look for a used transmission or at $1,400 for a replacement I could buy a new mower for less than $2,000.

This mower has lasted me well and cut a lot of grass over the past 17 years and the engine still starts and runs well.:smile:

My wife just suggested that I could drill a small hole in the top and fill the fluid every so often. I guess that would work as long as not to many shavings drop into the transmission.

mjb8fj

Threads
if your handy enough, look around craigslist for a used transmission? I found one what I needed for $50. Used a part off of that for one of my others, and sold the tires and rims for $60. To change out the transmission- it does look imtimidating, but it really isn't that bad of a job. I don't want to say how fast I can do it, but really if you look at how its up there and kind of study it for a little, its possible to drop it. If you want me to walk you thru it email me and Ill help you.

sadgrove

Threads
if your handy enough, look around craigslist for a used transmission? I found one what I needed for $50. Used a part off of that for one of my others, and sold the tires and rims for $60. To change out the transmission- it does look imtimidating, but it really isn't that bad of a job. I don't want to say how fast I can do it, but really if you look at how its up there and kind of study it for a little, its possible to drop it. If you want me to walk you thru it email me and Ill help you.

Thanks for the offer. I was able to find a You Tube Video for removing my transmission so have some idea what to do.

Now the challenge will be finding a used transmission.

mjb8fj

Threads
no worries on that. Hope you find one

sadgrove

Threads
Well folks I finally tackled the issue and removed the hydrostatic transmission. After cleaning it up I tipped it over and about a cupful of oil was still in the transmission. One thing I noticed when taking the transmission out was that it was bolted to the main axle and the top of the frame by two metal brackets. Both of these brackets were broken at the bend where it attaches to the transmission. I could see no other problems so filled it with oil again and turned the wheels for a while but could see no leaks. I made two new brackets. So my question now is whether to just reinstall and see if it still leaks with the frame supports intact, or should I remove the bottom of the transmission, clean it up and reseal it? Anyone have any opinions a to my next steps. Thanks