Repairs LT 166 with an oil leak from the transmission

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those stabilizing brackets will not make a difference to the oil loss.
When they break usually the belt jumps off and that is about it.
Spinning the wheels or input shaft will not generate enough oil pressure to force it out of where ever it was coming from.
There is only a handful of seals and when you washed the box it should have been apparent where the oil was leaking from.
TuffTorque supply parts direct to the public via their web page

sadgrove

Threads
Those stabilizing brackets will not make a difference to the oil loss.
When they break usually the belt jumps off and that is about it.
Spinning the wheels or input shaft will not generate enough oil pressure to force it out of where ever it was coming from.
There is only a handful of seals and when you washed the box it should have been apparent where the oil was leaking from.
TuffTorque supply parts direct to the public via their web page

Uhttp://wwhttp://www.lawnmowerforum.com/images/attach/jpg.gifw.lawnmowerforum.com/images/attach/jpg.gifnfortunately

There is no evident leak after a week and I can't see any signs of oil. I wondered what the second black cap was for? The large one is where the oil is added.

Attachments

• Tuff Torq K51-B Hydrostatic Transmission from a John Deere LT166 (Top).jpg
    Tuff Torq K51-B Hydrostatic Transmission from a John Deere LT166 (Top).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
only as fume and that happens when the oil gets too hot.
There is generally an oil stain surrounding it from the fume coming out

dfbroxy

Threads
There are also bearing seals where the wheel shafts come out of the housing. With the brackets broke it could have wiggled them enough during operation to cause a leak when the trans is hot and the mower moveing. I would fill, reinstall, and check trans after each use. With luck the leak wont reappear. If it does you will catch where its coming from and have a better idea or whether to repair or replace. In the end it will come down to if you want a new mower or like how sturdy the older ones are.