MTD Yardman transaxle replacement

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
I inherited a MTD Yardman 42" lawn tractor and discovered the transaxle housing is cracked and worn where the right-side axle comes out. The model number on the transaxle is 618-04381A. MTD calls it a transmission and their P/N is 918-04566A, which replaces obsolete P/N's 918-01566A and 918-04566. I want to find a used replacement transaxle and have found ones with model number 618-04381, but no "A". Does anyone know the difference between 618-04381A and just plain 618-04381?
Thanks for the help, I don't want to end up with a replacement part that won't work.

Roger B.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No longer available
P/N: 618-04381, 61804381
618-04381 has been discontinued by MTD
618-04381 has been replaced by 618-04381A
This means they are the same trans with some sort of upgrade. The trans you have is the exact replacement for the one you want to buy. I wish I would have read your post better the first time.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
This means they are the same trans with some sort of upgrade.

Ahhh, there's the rub.. One has to wonder 'what' sort of upgrade. I'm still waiting for a starter motor I ordered for this unit to be sure the engine runs before spending any more of my retirement money on it. Hopefully, by the time I've got the engine running, some one will have a used model 618-04381A transaxle for sale. I'll keep my arthritic fingers crossed...

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm not very familiar with MTD p/n's nor with which brand of transaxle you have, but if you keep checking at (surpluscenter.com) you might find what you need at a good price, I replaced the unit in my Murray "46" inch a couple years ago
it was onlt $79.99 plus shipping (cheap) check your unit for a sticker on the rear of the housing ( see my pics) to see if it's made by Peerless ( or other ) then keep an eye on this place for your unit....... they receive their inventories quite often or maybe call them to see if they can help you ......... Best of luck !! .... Boobala..:thumbsup:

DSCN1525.jpg

SURPLUS CENTER TRANNY.jpg

TRANNY A.jpg

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala,

Thanks for the link! My transaxle has a sticker like yours, but it does not have a manufacturers name on it, just the model number. It 'looks' very much like the one you have installed on your Murray. I will check out that link and see what I can find.. Right now I am waiting for a replacement starter motor to arrive so I can be certain the engine (a B&S 18.5 HP single cylinder) doesn't have any serious issues. Once I'm certain the engine runs I'll be much more inclined to spend additional $$$ to get the whole unit operating. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I have removed all the equipment that is involved with operating the mower deck, deck included. I only want the tractor as a motivating unit. I hope that doesn't bar me from the forum!!

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
THIS may be be what you are looking for... as I said I'm not familiar with MTD parts but from what I've seen in the pics this looks close to what you have
hoping everything works out for you,........ you might consider sending a P.M. to 2 other members on this site... ( Carscw ) and ( Pumper54 ) I think they build a lot of go-fast mowers (without decks) they seem to be quite knowledgeable about parts swapping and such. .........Boobala ...:cool2:

http://www.mowergraveyard.com/transaxles-c-13/mtd-single-speed-transaxle-75305851-p-17339.html

Click on the larger image icon .....
Just saw the full page for MTD transaxles ........ http://www.mowergraveyard.com/?main_page=index&cPath=13&sort=20a&filter_id=13

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala,

There was one axle on that site you supplied the link for, but once again, the model number was missing the "A" at the end. I'd have to know more about substituting MTD model numbers than I currently do before I felt comfortable ordering an axle with a different model number. As I am not in a rush, unless I learn more about the current transaxle that I have and understand what differences there are in the various model numbers that are available, I'm going to wait until I find the right used axel with the correct part number. If the engine turns out to be toast, then it's all academic anyway.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Roger B

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
It Starts!!!

I've got two forums going here, one for the MTD transaxle and another for the starter on the B&S engine. Just to keep you guys up to date, the starter motor arrived today, so I installed it and made sure the spur gear was the correct one for my flywheel. It was a 14 tooth gear and fit perfectly. I dumped some fuel into the tank and dribbled a little gas into the cylinder, screwed in the sparkplug and turned the key... It started right up but then quickly died. I kept dumping a little gas into the mouth of the carburetor hoping eventually it would suck some up on it's own, but although it started each time, it died as soon as that little bit of fuel was consumed. This tractor sat outside unused for two years and I expect I need to clean or rebuild the carb.

Anyway, things are looking good . . .so far....

Roger B