MTD Yardman transaxle replacement

Pumper54

Threads
Roger,
Congrats on getting that starter motor sorted out. As for the parts number many manufacturers add a letter or - number to the part number when they make a change in the design or supplier. In the business world it is called a "superseded" number. Most times it is because the product line that part was first used on has been stopped or changed for whatever reason. Many times the part is the same as before but the number has the letter behind it. I have seen parts with -G, H, I ect behind them. You might contact the seller of that part to see if they can shed more light on it for you.
Tom

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know the price you are looking at for the transaxles, but if the crack is in an aluminum housing and IF everything inside is working have you considered welding the crack? The case would have to be disassembled, cleaned, and crack V ground. Guessing the welding would be $75-$100 if you can find a good shop. Lots of "ifs" here. Repairs in aluminum are fairly routine. If a bearing counter bore is involved with extra machining you may reach a trade off point with replacement.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tom,

Thanks for the reassurance that 'maybe' the "A" at the end of my transaxle model number isn't as critical as I thought it might be. I've got a carburetor problem to sort out before I dive into the transaxle replacement. I promised myself I'd have the engine running 100% before springing the bucks for a transaxle.
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Motoman,

Unfortunately I don't think welding is an option. The bushing end of the upper half of the transaxle housing is badly worn as well as being cracked. Looking at it, you can see it is obviously egg shaped and the axle itself can be moved up and down a considerable amount in the housing. Of course a 'good' welder could repair the crack and build up the worn away aluminum. But, then the housing would have to be machined back to specs and I suspect the cost would be prohibitive. On top of that, I have not disassembled the transaxle, so I don't know if whatever wore out the bushing also wore down the axle at that point. Something bad happened there to cause so much wear on a machine that obviously wasn't used that much.
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you both for your input. I'm out of my element here and need all the help I can get.

Roger B

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Roger, Good cautionary analysis. You will not know until you disassemble. If you can do it yourself and like that sort of thing you could take that next step of visiting a "good" machine shop which probably could be a one stop. I have never disassembled such a tractor transaxle, but several auto units, including salvaging one damaged from an accident and welded up. The motor mount had sheared away the block fastener protrusion. Fixed and running that transaxle today after 15 years. There is a youtube tearing down a rider transaxle which is interesting to watch although the workshop hygiene is terrible. I looked at the "low cost" unit above and so if a "normal"cost unit is ? $350 ? it would seem tempting to consider repair.....? other things being equal?.:smile:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Motoman, et al....

Just to keep you guys up to speed, I got the engine running! Some debris got into the carburetor because the plastic engine cowling had been left adrift after the starter was removed. That exposed the intake of the carb and some pine needles got in it. When I removed the fuel solenoid a hemlock needle fell out, I think that had been jamming the solenoid closed. Once that was cleaned out and the solenoid freed up and re-installed, the engine started up and ran fine.

Now it's on to the transaxle hunt!

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Motoman, et al....

Just to keep you guys up to speed, I got the engine running! Some debris got into the carburetor because the plastic engine cowling had been left adrift after the starter was removed. That exposed the intake of the carb and some pine needles got in it. When I removed the fuel solenoid a hemlock needle fell out, I think that had been jamming the solenoid closed. Once that was cleaned out and the solenoid freed up and re-installed, the engine started up and ran fine.

Now it's on to the transaxle hunt!

Roger B

Transmission parts are available in the manuals I sent to you ........ check them out, in service manual is repair instructions YOU have a lot of research ahead of you YOUNG man ... ( I'm 70 ... LOL )....:thumbsup: ...:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pumper.... Hmmmmm, I wonder, Fireman? Oil rig? (Texas, could be right?)

I wish I thought the transaxle was in good enough condition to rebuild.. The upper half of the housing is cracked where the axle protrudes on the right side. Also where the bushing should be in that same end of the housing, the axle has worn the opening egg shaped, so something serious has gone on there. I don't know if the axle itself is badly worn too. A new upper housing is $90. I have seen used transaxles for anywhere from $100 to $150, so if I needed to replace the axle as well, I'd be spending more $$ than a serviceable used one would cost.

Like Boob-La says, I've got lots of research to do.. BUT!! Fortunately I've discovered that I have far more time to do research than I thought I had, now that I've discovered that I'm far younger than I thought I was! Things are looking up!

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pumper.... Hmmmmm, I wonder, Fireman? Oil rig? (Texas, could be right?)

I wish I thought the transaxle was in good enough condition to rebuild.. The upper half of the housing is cracked where the axle protrudes on the right side. Also where the bushing should be in that same end of the housing, the axle has worn the opening egg shaped, so something serious has gone on there. I don't know if the axle itself is badly worn too. A new upper housing is $90. I have seen used transaxles for anywhere from $100 to $150, so if I needed to replace the axle as well, I'd be spending more $$ than a serviceable used one would cost.

Like Boob-La says, I've got lots of research to do.. BUT!! Fortunately I've discovered that I have far more time to do research than I thought I had, now that I've discovered that I'm far younger than I thought I was! Things are looking up!

Roger

DON'T EVER ..... lose your spirit Rog...... thats what keeps us ol-farts goin !!! ... I assume you're retired also ??..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:..:thumbsup:

Pumper54

Threads
Roger,
Retired Fireman or as you have to say today Fire Fighter. ;-) I have used Pumper54 on several forums I belong to as I wanted Engine54 (fire truck I drove most of the time) but some one had already taken it and as a "Engine" is also called a "Pumper" hence the handle.
Tom