stihl br600 valve problems

gikker

Forum Newbie
Threads
im a noob here and tried the search function and its not working for me. so heres my issue, blower stopped running instantly and when i took the valve cover off 1 rocker arm jumped off the value. corrected it and put back together. it ran for 1 second, took it back apart and opposite rocker jumped off the value. (this unit has worked perfect everyday ive had it) noticed the valve clearance was about 50,000th. just super sloppy. adjusted to 4,000th and put back together and started fine but had some valve clatter ive never heard before. ran for 5 seconds and quit, rocker jumped off again. this time i pulled the push rods and they are very straight. pulled the valve spring retainers and the valve have a nice solid sound as i pull them up against the top of the inside of the motor so nothing seems stuck or bent there. what the heck am i missing? how does a unit go from working perfectly to a sloppy mess INSTANTLY? and on both valves? when i adjusted the valves to 4,000th there was no more rocker arm slop but i still had valve clatter... very frustrating.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you adjust valves on top dead center on the compression stroke?

gikker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you adjust valves on top dead center on the compression stroke?

i thought every stroke is compression in a 2 stroke. i had the flywheel in the 1o'clock position if that helps. i obviously dont know what the compression stroke is on a 2 stroke.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
i thought every stroke is compression in a 2 stroke. i had the flywheel in the 1o'clock position if that helps. i obviously dont know what the compression stroke is on a 2 stroke.

The BR 600 is a four stroke not a two stroke.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Piston at top of cylinder and valves closed.

gikker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Piston at top of cylinder and valves closed.

never seen a 4 stroke that takes mix gas, who knew? anyhoo, both valves were tight and at the same level (high) with piston at tdc so that must have been the compression stroke. at this point im just going to junk it. only cost me $60 used and worked for 2 years. i dont know what the heck im missing.