Maybe now I know what that sound was...

rfWi

Threads
I've owned my 8157A a short time,(my first LB)and when engaging blade it would rattle a bit.I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.I should have asked this here.
Could it have been a rod knock?... I think this is a little beyond a JB Weld fix.:frown:

102_6769.JPG

jp1961

Threads
LOL,,,yeah, JB weld is good stuff, but it's no going to fix that.

Jeff

fabricgator

Threads
I patched up a two stroke Kawasaki jet ski 550 with JB weld and ran it two seasons before selling it. I just realized that I never did disclose that, I had forgotten until now.

Phototone

Threads
You "might" be able to seal up the hole, however the rod coming loose from the crankshaft indicates serious interior issues. Probably running without enough oil in the fuel mix. Those issues have to be fixed, and the preferred method is to get a reasonably good complete non-broken engine from a salvage mower, rebuilding it and putting it on your deck.

rfWi

Threads
I really wasn't considering plugging that hole.I am going to tear it down and see if anything is salvageable.Hopefully I can rebuild it and reinstall it.I was running Amsoil Saber @40-1 so I don't think it was a oil problem.It did have a bad hunting problem that I was trying to take care of,but I guess that's what took care of that engine! I did come across another 8157A,and put that engine on the blown motor deck.This motor runs with no problems.

BWH

Threads
JB Weld was a life saver back in my childhood,

I repaired a block on my go cart with the stuff. Me and my brothers back in the 60's had a go cart with a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratten engine of which we learned how much faster it would go if you reached back and pulled on the governor. You guessed it after about the third time of that we threw the rod right through the side of the block. Well when dad found out he said he wasn't going to buy a new engine, we should go find the pieces and glue them back together and he would spring for a new rod and piston. Believe it or not my brothers and I found all the pieces and stuck it back together with JB Weld. With Dad's help we put it back together with Piston, rings and a new rod. We ran it a number of years until our interests turned to dirt bikes and cars.

By the way we never messed around with the governor linkage again. :smile:

rfWi

Threads
Well,I got around to teardown of this engine,I was hoping I would be able to use some of the parts for an 8270 with low compression.But by the looks of it all I have is a good flywheel and coil assembly.Everything internal is damaged,cylinder,piston,rod,crank,even the reeds got dinged up.Next is a tear down of the 8270 motor and start my first ever reassembly job.

102_6898.JPG

jp1961

Threads
pick up a tube of Loctite.

Jeff