john deere stx-38 riding mower

rewtiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
wanted to see if anyone has had any issues or can help me with an issues i'm having with my stx-38.

mower in great condition, but when trying to start it, sometimes it doesn't and i have the turn the swithch a couple times with the clutch, and brake pushed in, and i get a clicking sound, and then it will fire over. sometimes it starts on first click, other times it's several.

not too sure if it is the switch, the starter, the solenoid, or something else. if anyone has any insight, please let me know.

thanks

benski

Threads
Double check your battery , and all your connections. It doesn't take a very big voltage drop to have a starter not engage.:smile:

nigelbb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the same problem with mine.
take the battery to a good place to get it oad tested.
if low buy a good new battery.
make sure all terminals are very clean and tight.
and i mean clean and tight!

rosey65

Threads
They also have a relay kit to help boost the voltage to the starter, I believe.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They also have a relay kit to help boost the voltage to the starter, I believe.

I don't under stand this? This is something I did when I was making VW dune buggys when they had 6 volt systems back in the 60's when we ran the 12 volt batterys in them. As far as the starting problim, sounds like a starter solinoid going bad to me.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually it was a kit first put together by John Deere to "fix" the voltage drops across their safety interlocks...
It is the 'John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421'

I have been making these for quite a while using standard automotive relays and spade connectors. You can make the 'kit' for under $10 or buy the kit for around $25.... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
Actually it was a kit first put together by John Deere to "fix" the voltage drops across their safety interlocks...
It is the 'John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421'

I have been making these for quite a while using standard automotive relays and spade connectors. You can make the 'kit' for under $10 or buy the kit for around $25.... :smile:KennyV

I'll have to keep that in mind. My neighbor has a nice STX 38. If it gives him grief I'll let him know.:thumbsup: