HELP!! ROOKIE with a Tecumseh VLV55 REBUILD

PieFace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Everyone!

Im not much of a small engine guy. I build jeeps, so thats more my thing. i was given this 1995 ariens mower from an old neighbor who's husband died 10 years ago, and left it in the shed.

Its in really good condition, except it will only run for a few min, and then stop. unless I keep pressing the primer while running.

I wanted to give it a refresh. Im thinking of changing the carb to this-

https://www.amazon.com/TECUMSEH-632671C-CARBURETOR-VLV40-VLV126/dp/B00LT20SZU#Ask

The question is, what else should I change while im at it? I already changed the air filter. Should I bother changing hoses and belts?

Is there certain problem areas you find with these things that need replacing?

Thanks for any help offered!

- PF
IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7688.jpg

upupandaway

Threads
On mine, I tried local carb bowl kit with no luck but got another one from china and it works like a charm. Ironic, the china carb has metal part inside not the red plastic one sold in US.
All else, nah, that's it. so long as it has clean oil, you are good to go.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Everyone!

Im not much of a small engine guy. I build jeeps, so thats more my thing. i was given this 1995 ariens mower from an old neighbor who's husband died 10 years ago, and left it in the shed.

Its in really good condition, except it will only run for a few min, and then stop. unless I keep pressing the primer while running.

I wanted to give it a refresh. Im thinking of changing the carb to this-

https://www.amazon.com/TECUMSEH-632671C-CARBURETOR-VLV40-VLV126/dp/B00LT20SZU#Ask

The question is, what else should I change while im at it? I already changed the air filter. Should I bother changing hoses and belts?

Is there certain problem areas you find with these things that need replacing?

Thanks for any help offered!

- PF
View attachment 30143

View attachment 30141

View attachment 30142

WOW ..... NICE machine ..... nice shape... somebody "upstairs" smiled on you !! Keep us up-dated on your project .