Buying Advice XT3 GS delima

RudyP

Threads
I bought a CC 2000 series 2166 w/42" deck 13 years ago and it has been a really great lawn tractor. It is still running strong but needs a few non essential items but the new tractor bug has hit and I am really interested in the XT3 GS which has manual steering/manual deck lift like my old 2166. Now here is the delima; my first purchase was from the closest dealer which is 40 miles from me and he does not stock the XT3 just because of the price. He cannot give me any info as to the build quality of the XT3 compared to the 2166 other than both are shaft drive and was leary of all the new electronics. We now have a Cub dealer in my hometown who is a very reputable guy I have known for years and only stocks the XT1 & XT2. He will order me one but has been reluctant to quote me a firm price. I was casually talking to his service tech who I know and was told in confidence that the owner wanted to sell me an XT3 GS but the was leary of ordering an XT3 because they are too new, no real track record in the field and he did not want to subject me or him with a nightmare of headaches. Any advice?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

RudyP

Threads
Mechanic Mark thanks for your support. Yes you are right, I recently talked to my sales friend who originally sold me the 2166 at the larger dealership 40 miles away and he said exactly the same thing you did. He said they were their top seller back then with hardly any service issues at all. He also had a 2166 and said in his opinion were the best overbuilt homeowner unit Cub/MTD ever put out; also he does not stock the XT3 either only the XT1 & XT2 for the same reasons as our new local dealer. BTW I serviced my Cub just yesterday: cleaned the deck, changed blades, and as usual greased everything including the conveniently hidden front axle and steering sector zerk fittings, topped off all the fluids and fired that baby up with the lawn sweeper attached and picked up a few leaves in the backyard. I really like my old tractor but in the event the motor goes down Kohler has retired the CH16S and no short blocks are available that I have found, I hope it may can get rebuilt. I have found that some normal wear items are specific to only the 2166; for example the rear tires are a non generic size and demand a ridiculous price. When replacing I will attempt to put slightly wider tires that are 1/3 the cost on the rims. As far as the transaxle it is supposedly to still have parts available when needed. Sorry for the long post, I am recently retired due to heart conditions and like to talk tractors. Thanks again, Rudy.