Kohler KT17, Series 2, Twin opposed engine problems.

trikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am new to this site and have no idea exactly what the procedures are so please have patience with me, I am also 70 years old.
I have a Kohler KT17 engine as mentioned it the title and am having lots of problems.
1st, I cannot locate an exact model and serial number as the B & S engines have stamped in the engine covers somewhere.
2nd, last year I was having problems getting it to start. So after checking compression realized one cylinder had low compression. The valve clearance was too tight, I reseated the valve, rechecked compression and it was still too tight so I ground off the end of the valve to get the correct clearance. The engine now had 105 # compression in both cylinders. It started good when cold or hot. Put it away for the winter but when I tried to start it in the summer I had no spark at the points or plugs. I had power to the positive side of the double 12 volt coil but nothing coming out the negative side and down to the points. The double coils are hard to find and very, very expensive. I called a shop that I frequent and he said they install a single 12 volt coil with a internal resister and just splice the plug wires together and it will work fine and it does. My problem is that it will not start. It pop's and backfires but never sounds like its going to start. I pulled the carb, (Walbro) disassembled it and cleaned out every hole I can find, all gaskets look good. Reassembled it, reattached it and it still pop's up thru the carb and backfires out the muffler. It sounds like it's out of time but it ran when I put it away for the winter and now sounds like it's out of time, how can the be?

Now to remove the flywheel it looks like the engine must be pulled because it's on the rear of the engine attached to the drive shaft. Is this all possible?
It seems like the plugs and points are firing correctly. When the piston on the left (sitting on the tractor) reaches TDC. on the compression stroke both the spark plug and the points spark together, isn't this the way it's supposed to be? If I spray gas or starter fluid in the carb it really pop's and backfires, seems out of time to me. What do you think? NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!!!!

cashman

Threads
Back in the early spring, I purchased a new coil for the KT-17 on my Ariens from a guy on E-Bay for around $100. The drive shaft bolts onto the flywheel and there is either a nut or a bolt holding the flywheel onto the crankshaft under the drive shaft adapter. The only thing under the flywheel is the stator which all it does is provide charging to the battery. Kohler used to offer a "Renew the Power Kit" for the KT 17-21 engines that had points, condenser, points push rod, cover gasket, spark plugs and head gaskets. This allowed you to de-carbon the cylinder heads and tune the engine and it always did wonders on older engines. The ignition timing needs to be done as per the service manual instructions using an automotive timing light. Just setting the points on .020" might get you in the ball park but will not allow for any wear on the points pushrod or slop in the camshaft.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here!

:tractor: I'm going to move this thread over to the Kohler section for more insight.

trikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads

Rocky J

Threads
Parts have gotten high , I have used the dual plug wire coils from the motorcycles off of ebay and have worked fine.Most of the 4 cylinder motorcycles had two of them under the tanks. You never mentioned if you unhooked the distributor wire from the coil when testing for current on that side, if that wire is shorted anywhere it wont light your test light. I went through a like deal with the spark on my Toro, It was fine on Monday and was crap the next day over night.It would start but was a long job to do it. Would not come up on rpms much and slobber and slow down to a shudder. I bypassed the tractor wiring thinking it was the key switch or safety switch with no change, changed plugs, no improvement, cleaned points and gaped, if that improved it it was not much or enough. Changed coil, not it, changed condenser and it was like a new engine. It never would start on propane, always had to start on gasoline but after the condenser it starts in two turns on propane.