Repairs Transmission problems with a 3 wheel Ferris H222K 52 " mower

rickj

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Transmission problems with a 3 wheel Ferris H222K 52 " mower
Hello fellow Ferris owners.
I am currently have speed issues with my Ferris 3 wheel (3000+ hours). The unit ran beautifully but experienced a slow transmission leak that dripped on the drive belt resulting in temporary speed reduction until it burned off-then speed returned to normal. Quotes for transmission fix from dealers averaged 2500 (labour and parts estimated) therefore tried to stop leak with leak stop product and it appears to have worked. However, recently the forward speed greatly reduced and transmission dump lever will only go one half way to full drive position and consequently speed effected. Free wheel position not affected. Have I destroyed the transmission or is there a fix. Any suggestions? Ferris states it is probably an internal transmission problem and removal necessary to resolve.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I take it that you don't do your own repairs. A new model Ferris Pro 60 you are looking at around 10,000 dollars. So I guess for 2500 dollars you will still have a commercial mower. What you can do to save some money is take the drive unit out yourself and bring it to a hydraulic shop and have new seals installed. The newer Ferris Pro 60's have a different drive system in them now then the older H2222K models. I sure hope you didn't do any damage by putting the stop leak into it. If you decide to just have new seals installed you should install all new oil and filter into the drive system. The best of luck

rickj

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I take it that you don't do your own repairs. A new model Ferris Pro 60 you are looking at around 10,000 dollars. So I guess for 2500 dollars you will still have a commercial mower. What you can do to save some money is take the drive unit out yourself and bring it to a hydraulic shop and have new seals installed. The newer Ferris Pro 60's have a different drive system in them now then the older H2222K models. I sure hope you didn't do any damage by putting the stop leak into it. If you decide to just have new seals installed you should install all new oil and filter into the drive system. The best of luck

Thanks for the insight.
No, I don't do my own repairs and have relied on the shops to keep me going-only small scale operator.
Thanks again.

tms481

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a H3222K that was leaking oil from the bottom seal of the engine, soaking the drive belt to the hydro pump. I believe the H222k is a transaxle drive thus this might not be the issue. You might see if the leak is from the engine rather than the hydro. If from the engine, the lower seal should not be too expensive to repair compared to replacing the trans.