Newbie needs advice...

bquisenberry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, it's my first post...been trolling for a little while looking at threads trying to soak up some info, because I'm in need of advice.

My wife and I are closing on a new piece of property on November the 1st here in Kentucky. Fortunately, mowing season is winding down here and it's doubtful I'll have to mow the place until Spring.

The facts:
(1) I have never owned anything more than a <$1000 home improvement store lawn tractor. The biggest lawn I've ever had was just under 1/2 acre in the city, so never had the need. I've never even operated anything more that that, never piloted a zero turn.
(2) Our new property is 1.5 acres of rolling land...beautiful...but pretty hilly. About half the property is fairly flat, but the other half slopes off into a valley pretty quick. Not having actually tried to measure it, I'd say is a 20% slope...maybe more...and it undulates. The good news is there are few obstacles. The hill is wide open, no trees, no fences, no water. The flat portion has a few trees and is fenced on two sides, but nothing too difficult to navigate.
(3) Buying this property (we got a great deal), we budgeted a decent sum of money for a good tractor. I can swing up to $6,000. The utility garage in the basement has double doors that open up 80"+, so it's game-on.

Now...what in the crap do I buy?

I've read where zero turn mowers can get in trouble on hills. Having never driven one, seems like a pretty big challenge for me to learn on...and I'd rather not die.

I've read where garden tractors are better on hills, but are they going to give me trouble on the other parts where I need to cut around trees, along fences, near the house/landscape edging, etc? Mow slower?

In my snooping over the last couple of weeks online, I'm seeing these Cub Cadet Z-Force mowers that are zero turn riders with a steering wheel and models designed for hilly terrain. (Z-Force SX KW in 48, 54, or 60) They can tow a little dump trailer or attachment, etc. Liking what I see there a lot for my property and my newbie status, but would rather not make a $6000 mistake.

I'm also not sure whether 48, 54, or 60 is right for what I'm going to be doing. I'd like to be able to mow this thing safely in 60-75 minutes, trim up, clean up, then promptly hook my bass boat to the back of my truck and get the hell outta there. LOL

Advice?

Thanks!

Rocky J

Threads
Well, it's my first post...been trolling for a little while looking at threads trying to soak up some info, because I'm in need of advice.

My wife and I are closing on a new piece of property on November the 1st here in Kentucky. Fortunately, mowing season is winding down here and it's doubtful I'll have to mow the place until Spring.

The facts:
(1) I have never owned anything more than a <$1000 home improvement store lawn tractor. The biggest lawn I've ever had was just under 1/2 acre in the city, so never had the need. I've never even operated anything more that that, never piloted a zero turn.
(2) Our new property is 1.5 acres of rolling land...beautiful...but pretty hilly. About half the property is fairly flat, but the other half slopes off into a valley pretty quick. Not having actually tried to measure it, I'd say is a 20% slope...maybe more...and it undulates. The good news is there are few obstacles. The hill is wide open, no trees, no fences, no water. The flat portion has a few trees and is fenced on two sides, but nothing too difficult to navigate.
(3) Buying this property (we got a great deal), we budgeted a decent sum of money for a good tractor. I can swing up to $6,000. The utility garage in the basement has double doors that open up 80"+, so it's game-on.

I've read where zero turn mowers can get in trouble on hills. Having never driven one, seems like a pretty big challenge for me to learn on...and I'd rather not die.

I've read where garden tractors are better on hills, but are they going to give me trouble on the other parts where I need to cut around trees, along fences, near the house/landscape edging, etc? Mow slower?

In my snooping over the last couple of weeks online, I'm seeing these Cub Cadet Z-Force mowers that are zero turn riders with a steering wheel and models designed for hilly terrain. (Z-Force SX KW in 48, 54, or 60) They can tow a little dump trailer or attachment, etc. Liking what I see there a lot for my property and my newbie status, but would rather not make a $6000 mistake.

I'm also not sure whether 48, 54, or 60 is right for what I'm going to be doing. I'd like to be able to mow this thing safely in 60-75 minutes, trim up, clean up, then promptly hook my bass boat to the back of my truck and get the hell outta there. LOL

Advice?

Thanks!
Take a look at this video it might be a added thought to your choices. You can fish in a bodie cast but you cant swim. LOLhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWaSJJ2ReLk

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I mow some really steep grades with my mowers. Its no secret added weight and bigger wider tires makes a difference.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The facts:

Advice?

Thanks!

Your talking about 1.5 acres of rolling land and pretty hilly. Half the property is fairly flat, but the other half slopes off into a valley pretty quick and you say is a 20% slope...maybe more...and it undulates. I wouldn't mess with a ZTR although with some practice you should be able to use the mower but it wouldn't be my choice.

If your looking to do the property in 60 to 75 minutes I'd go with a 36" cut Toro Grandstand. It would be a lot safer on 20% grade than a ZTR and a lot more comfortable and more productive. (Your back will thank you) They drive just like a ZTR so the learning curve isn't any greater. The ride platform also folds up so the mower can be used as a walk behind so you have the best of both worlds.

The Grandstand mower is rated to do or for 20 degree slopes. It also has a lower center of gravity than a ZTR and most other stand-on mowers which makes it Idle for hill and slopes. If you want to mow the 1.5 acres faster then jump up to the 48" 52" or if needed they do come in the 60" cut. The Grandstand also comes with a 5 year or 1200 hour warranty. last two videos are use on hills and slopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NNCHZJnA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-S4H2aMf1Y

Last edited:

dcgrazier

Threads
I would suggest you ask the dealer for a demo mower to try before you buy. Most dealers will be happy to let you try a machine before you spend the big bucks. Also, if you like the demo mower, you may be able to do a deal for the demo mower at a reduced rate. Most dealers want to sell these mowers at the end of the year and most dealers will include a full warranty.

WilliamHy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for sharing the video here Rocky. I was also in need of it.