Dixon Ultra 52 Starter Problem -- Electrical.

sid007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new here and hope to be an effective contributor as time goes by. However, at this time I'm the one in need. My Kohler-powered Dixon Ultra 52 was recently in the dealer's shop for non-starting issues. They found that a 20 amp blade fuse was bad and replaced it. I had expected it to be the starter solenoid/relay, but, that was okay.

Now, the same problem has recurred and I am able to start the engine by bridging the solenoid with a pair of pliers, thus, bypassing the solenoid. I has tried to locate the 20 amp fuse but need your help in locating it. Plus, a question: Does that 20 amp fuse really determine whether the solenoid activates, or, not? FYI, the Dixon manuals do not cover the starter circuitry, at all, and endless Googling hasn't reaped anything useful. So here in a capsule is what I'm asking you:

1) Where is the 20 amp fuse? And,

2) What's the chance the solenoid/relay is at fault?

Thanks, fellas!

sid007 (Sid Moore)

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mine is under the seat towards back bottom.
It could be the solenoid or starter or other things that others that are more knowledgeable than I can answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm new here and hope to be an effective contributor as time goes by. However, at this time I'm the one in need. My Kohler-powered Dixon Ultra 52 was recently in the dealer's shop for non-starting issues. They found that a 20 amp blade fuse was bad and replaced it. I had expected it to be the starter solenoid/relay, but, that was okay.

Now, the same problem has recurred and I am able to start the engine by bridging the solenoid with a pair of pliers, thus, bypassing the solenoid. I has tried to locate the 20 amp fuse but need your help in locating it. Plus, a question: Does that 20 amp fuse really determine whether the solenoid activates, or, not? FYI, the Dixon manuals do not cover the starter circuitry, at all, and endless Googling hasn't reaped anything useful. So here in a capsule is what I'm asking you:

1) Where is the 20 amp fuse? And,

2) What's the chance the solenoid/relay is at fault?

Thanks, fellas!

sid007 (Sid Moore)

Check the solenoid by triggering it independant of the mower.
If it has 2 small terminals 1 is + and the other is - .
So pull off the small wires at the bottom and run come patch leads ( small jumpers ) to them.
If the solenoid fires & powers the starter motor the solenoid is fine.

If there is only 1 small wire then it is + and the body is -.

On ZTR's they usually run a 4 terminal solenoid and the lap bar safety switches make the ground while the ignition + PTP + Brake make the + 12V
So if the solenoid is good then you have a problem with the mower's wiring.

On the hot wire on top of the solenoid is usually a smaller wire that goes to power the mower and the fuse will be on it generally between the solenoid & ignition key.

sid007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the solenoid by triggering it independant of the mower.
If it has 2 small terminals 1 is + and the other is - .
So pull off the small wires at the bottom and run come patch leads ( small jumpers ) to them.
If the solenoid fires & powers the starter motor the solenoid is fine.

If there is only 1 small wire then it is + and the body is -.

On ZTR's they usually run a 4 terminal solenoid and the lap bar safety switches make the ground while the ignition + PTP + Brake make the + 12V
So if the solenoid is good then you have a problem with the mower's wiring.

On the hot wire on top of the solenoid is usually a smaller wire that goes to power the mower and the fuse will be on it generally between the solenoid & ignition key.

Thanks, "bertsmobile1", sounds like good advice. I'll check it out tomorrow.

sid007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is under the seat towards back bottom.
It could be the solenoid or starter or other things that others that are more knowledgeable than I can answer.

Aha! So that's where the little bugger is hiding! Thanks, "BlazNT", I'll see if mine is the same tomorrow when I get out to the lake where the mower lives.

sid007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, again, guys! Sorry for the delay in providing closure to this thread, but, I've been MOWING WITH MY DIXON!!! All the able help provided here made the resolution of my starting problem a cinch, plus, I learned lots along the way and had to shell out only ten bucks, altogether, to get 'er back to normal. Many thanks to you and this great forum!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your update of your outcome that resolved your issue is surely welcomed by those that offered their experience , every once in awhile the folks here DO get a reply and an " atta-boy " for the efforts they put forth to help others. Also when someone posts what they've done to resolve their problem, it helps the next person with the same or similar issue . Personally, it makes me feel really good to know there are great people on this site so willing to help others, NOW.... if we could just get a majority of people in our country to do the same ..... ???? .....Boobala ....:rolleyes: