H60-75506S What are the pros and cons of an oem motor

ronno5957

Threads
  • / H60-75506S What are the pros and cons of an oem motor
I recently acquired an 1989 Troybilt Econo-Horse rear tine walk behind tiller that is in close to excellent condition in appearance.The motor is free. It hasn't been started in years. I am wondering whether i should rebuild it prior to use. I am told or have heard that H60's were known to have certain problems. I'm looking for some advice. Thanks!

John R

Threads
I'd run it and see what happens, might not need anything but an oil change and some fresh gas.

ronno5957

Threads
I'd run it and see what happens, might not need anything but an oil change and some fresh gas.

I've heard that the H60 have or had bad rods. Am i to be concerned running unleaded gas? Thanks! Ronn

Rocky J

Threads
I recently acquired an 1989 Troybilt Econo-Horse rear tine walk behind tiller that is in close to excellent condition in appearance.The motor is free. It hasn't been started in years. I am wondering whether i should rebuild it prior to use. I am told or have heard that H60's were known to have certain problems. I'm looking for some advice. Thanks!
I am old enough I lived through most of Tecumseh times, mini bikes, go karts, tiller, snowblowers. That was a popular engine on generators and I saw a lot of them with broke rods but they did not have any oil in them when I pulled them apart. Very seldom saw one truly wore out because the Tecumseh Carburetor was always a problem to the point most people walked away from them, could not get them to start and setting for a year or two did not help anything. I learned to get by with them, open the main jet one turn to start just to turn it back in one turn after running and after it warmed up it was anybody's guess if it was rich or lean on a start, like I said I got by with them but it was next to impossible to sell a used anything with a Tecumseh on it.I remember a H100 on the John Deere 110 but the made a adapter to run the same carb as the Kohler models ran, think it was a Carter now Nikki. I would give it a once over and give it a shot of starting fluid and if it starts clean the carb and tank. I remember on the generators I could not swap the Tecumseh with a briggs because the bolt circle on the face plate was different by maybe 1/2 inch. Just my opinion, I would not put the money into a overhaul on that engine, If you buy a Clone for $99 it will be all new, tank,carb,recoiler,block,and valves. I have used about 12 of them now and will continue to. I am attaching a link that shows a re power of your tiller.http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Troy-Bilt-Econo-Horse-Tiller-Category/

ronno5957

Threads
Thanks for the info!
The carb and tank had fuel in them. I pulled the plug and saw that it was running very rich. Lubed the cylinder,changed the crank case oil and disconnected the drive belts. Pulled, cleaned,carb,tank and replaced fuel lines. Attempted to start, found no spark. Checked coil,plug and wiring all good. Cleaned coil base and flywheel magnet. Set coil to flywheel gap. No spark. Suspected alternator coil. Pulled flywheel. Dropped flywheel on vise and 1 of 3 internal flywheel magnets broke off. Damn! What can i do? Adhesive? I don't know. Any experience with this?
My carb is numbered 1115AOJ. I can't see a manufactures name. Thanks! Ronn

ronno5957

Threads
Inside of flywheel and alternator coil corroded but salvagable.