Walk behind Disconnecting Transmission on HRT216SDA

NoMoMowin

Threads
I just bought a used HRT216SDA w non-working transmission but otherwise great condition. I don't want to repair it just yet, just disconnect it so the mower pushes and pulls freely without engaging any of the transmission gears. Looking at repair videos, it seems simple enough to remove the small gears in the two rear wheel housings. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I'll save anything I remove for eventual rebuild but just want the easiest fix for now that won't interfere with any later repair work. Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just bought a used HRT216SDA w non-working transmission but otherwise great condition. I don't want to repair it just yet, just disconnect it so the mower pushes and pulls freely without engaging any of the transmission gears. Looking at repair videos, it seems simple enough to remove the small gears in the two rear wheel housings. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I'll save anything I remove for eventual rebuild but just want the easiest fix for now that won't interfere with any later repair work. Thanks.

Yes, removing the two small pinion gears (note: they have small Woodruff keys and springs underneath) will disconnect the transmission's axle from the rear wheels. Volia! instant push mower :frown:

You might want to remove the belt, as it is otherwise under constant tension between the engine and transmission, and will draw a tiny bit of power...but not really very much.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One added thing. Use a dry grease like spray lithium grease often. The wheels are not designed to roll on the shaft so it now needs lubrication all the time or you will be replacing them often.