New HRX217HYA Concerned About Condition

ViciousXUSMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone,

I finally spent money to get a good mower and after much research ended up with the aforementioned Honda HRX217HYA.

I got it brand new from CPOOutlets.com who had really good reviews online and looks like a well established business.

After the delay due to Hurricane Matthew it just came in today and I could get it put to work.

As I was unboxing I found a few things that have me very concerned.
I just want to make sure this is indeed a new mower and these things are normal by running it past a few of you experts.

First is rust all over the exhaust area, we live in a humid state so this may be normal just from sitting in a box unopened and be normal I dunno.
Second is on the right side of the motor where the dip stick is, is a precarious hole that looks like it should have some sort of bolt in it, and instead is just an open hole for no reason.
Third in that same area there is a whole bunch of what looks like to me one of those "create your own gasket" deals because there is gasket material oozing out between the engine halves, I would expect a new mower to have a form fit gasket made just for the motor and not see anything like this.

These three things together has me pretty paranoid when I finally worked up the courage to spend so much on a mower, I better make sure its perfect and I am not getting ripped off.

Mower Bolt.jpg
Mower Rust.jpg
Mower.jpg

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'd say your OK. All motors are prerun for a very short period when assembly is done. Or so I've been told by a friend who worked at the Nashville Arkansas huskervarna johnsred plant. The rust is on the inside of the exhaust pipe not the sheild . the gasket appears to look normal to me. The dip stick could be made for several different applications. I have a Kohler with a unused bolt hole on the dip stick .. You should have a warenty

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove engine cover and look to see if any dirt is on the engine. If no then you do not have a used mower.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
First is rust all over the exhaust area
Second is on the right side of the motor where the dip stick is
Third in that same area there is a whole bunch of what looks like to me one of those "create your own gasket" deals because there is gasket material oozing out

First, congrats on such a nice mower; the HRX is a tremendous machine.

Second, everything you describe is 'OK' and absolutely of no concern.
(1) Exhaust is made of mild steel. It is normal for some surface rust, especially, as you say, in humid conditions. Tip: If you hose down the mower after mowing, avoid getting water on the engine, and 'burn off' any moisture after washing by running the engine for a few minutes before putting the mower away.
(2) The hole is threaded, and there's a bolt screwed into it from the underside of the engine. Should be visible is you peer down into the hole with a flashlight, maybe a gentle probe with a toothpick will reveal the bolt is indeed there.
(3) The two halves of the engine block (it has a diagonal split) are sealed together with liquid material called Hondabond; a physical gasket is usually only used for parts that may need to be pulled apart for service or repair, and statistically, it is unlikely the block will ever need to be cracked open.

Third, be sure you've registered your new mower with Honda to ensure faster service if you ever require any warranty work. Get the full serial number (MXXX-1234567) off the back of the mower deck, then register online here:

Click here to register your new Honda online

Finally, drop me a private message with a mailing address, and I'll get you some Honda stickers in the mail.