Husqvarna RapidReplace blade system

deck~dragger

Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7G7GhI9mI

I did not look under the deck when I bought a YT46LS this year, found out later it had this system. I have taken the blades off one time so far and I was anything but rapid, actually the hardest part for me was getting the cap off. Maybe next time it will go faster but the video is misleading, in my opinion

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It only takes 15 seconds, provided the mower is new and there is no grass or other debris under the deck an the plastic has never gotten hot and shrunk making it impossible to remove without breaking this part :thumbdown:which of course will be over $ 100

deck~dragger

Threads
It only takes 15 seconds, provided the mower is new and there is no grass or other debris under the deck an the plastic has never gotten hot and shrunk making it impossible to remove without breaking this part :thumbdown:which of course will be over $ 100

15 seconds? Guess I need to practice, but then what is even the use? :shocked:

It is, what it is, so i'll try and make the best of it, blow it out with compressed air once in a while.

Johnnystop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvrana YT46LS with the "RapidReplace System. The system is a failure. There are no aftermarket blades available. The covers are poor quality, and expensive. It is a solution to a problem that did not exist. What could be simpler than a one bolt securing system? The design engineer should have gotten from behind the desk and changed a few blades.:thumbdown:

Johnnystop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Swapped out spindles and and went to Gator blades. Problem solved, total upgrade!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Swapped out spindles and and went to Gator blades. Problem solved, total upgrade!
It is cheaper to repair the system this way. I had a customer that both the spindle blade mount where bent. I save the customer nearly 1 hundred dollars by swapping back the old style system.

Chevychopper

Threads
Solved a problem of a solution that was meant to solve a problem that didn't exist....🤔

Welcome to the new world 🤣

I went back and looked at that vid... There's no way I would trust engineering like that to hold blades in place.
The idiots that design such crap have obviously never changed blades, hit unwanted objects in tall grass.. got cables, hoses or anything thing else winded up around a set of blades.. where backing out a simple bolt would solve the problem..

Last edited:

RayMcD

Threads
Nothing like an improvement that ends up costing you more. Wonder where they find their engineers...r

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is not an improvement and never was meant to be
The star system used to hold their blades works perfectly and rarely gives any design problems other than breaking off one of the mounting lugs when the blades strike a solid object because there is not enough slip in the system .
And Husqvarna addressed that by going from 3 bolt to 4 bolt spindle housings .
It originated from the marketing department as a sales feature to encourage people to buy their mower over the almost identical JD
Much like the No Oil Change briggs engines.
They paid some PR mob a lot of money to poll consumers to find out what was the most difficult / onerous task maintaining their mower and no surprise that blade changing came out tops because most Joe Average's do not have a big enough rattle gun to easily shift the bolt nor a tension wrench to replace it .
The biggest problem with Husqvarna mowers is the flimsey thin blades that bend if they hit a fart which is why I don't fit them , particularly their rubbish mulching blade which I regularly find fitted upside down .
They are really only suited to places that snow so have fine soft grass in the spring.
I have some old Cox & Greenfields mowers that I loan out during spring when I get overwhelmed
Just about every one who has used them wants to buy them off me rather than going back to their orange junk piles and quite a few sell their current model & go pay twice as much for a used Greenfields or Cox which costs 1/4 to maintain and 1/2 to 2/3 to run as they don't fit massively overpowered engines to cover up poor deck designs ,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think the real problem is some try mowing rocks and tree roots with their mowers. This is only time I have belt blades myself. Some people also try to make bush hogs out their mowers. They are not meant to cutting two foot grass all at once. Of cours I got one customer that thinks he mow bricks with his mower so I get to replace deck parts a lot.

Hell I even I tried mowing a tree stump myself by accident. It didn't go well I broke a $225 JD spindle.