Honda Hr 215

ksa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, New to the forum and looking for answers. I have the HR 215 and discovered a small oil leak from the oil pan gasket. N/P bought a new gasket and prepared to fix it. So The problem I've run into is after removing the blade, the crankshaft which passes through the part that holds the blade on. Won't come off like it is seized with rust or maybe there is some sort of locking mechanism that I'm missing.

If I can get this off then the oil pan would be the last thing to remove to replace gasket. So looking for any help out there. I appreciate all answers/suggestions.

(Pics provided)

Thank's

KA

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 48
  • LM1.jpg
    LM1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 42

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi everyone, New to the forum and looking for answers. I have the HR 215

Let's start with the full serial number off the back of the mower deck; should be in the form of XXXX-1234567

Just want to be sure which exact model you have; many older HR mowers had a blade clutch called Roto-Stop, but let's be sure about yours.

ksa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello sooy for slow response but here are the numbers...MZBB-6118196 It doesnt appear to have roto stop. Thanks for any help. I have to replace that oil gasket.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like it is hard rusted onto the crankshaft.

There's a woodruff key on the shaft...penetrating oil, heat, BFH...???

30564320620_0b4afe35ca_o.png

ksa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great info. Thank's for the info and illustration. I figured it had to be seized up. And didn't even think of a woodruff key. Those can be a pain to get off. So I will keep hitting it with penetrating oil for a bit. And maybe apply some heat.

Thanks again!

ksa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi again. The blade holder and the drive pulley appear to be welded as one. I cannot even see the woodruff key which appears to be under the pulley. Any ideas how to get to it to remove the holder and pulley? This is crazy..lol

PhilipH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi ksa:

Did you ever find a solution to removing the blade holder? I have the exact same issue (leaking oil pan gasket) and the exact model (HRM 215, MZBB-6140078). I removed the 14mm bolt but no matter what I do I can't remove the blade holder. I've soaked it in WD40 and attempted to dislodge it with a hammer...nothing seems to work.

Also, is it possible to replace the gasket without removing the blade holder? I kind of assume not, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Philip

Attachments

• HRM215BladeHolder1.jpg
    HRM215BladeHolder1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 14
  • HRM215BladeHolder2.jpg
    HRM215BladeHolder2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 15

PhilipH

Forum Newbie
Threads
For anyone interested, I did find a way to remove the blade holder. It took me a long time to figure out, but the solution was quite simple in the end. Furthermore, the only piece of special equipment it took was a washer. Here's what I did:

- Partially screw in the 14mm bolt holding the blade holder to the shaft of the engine. Keep it loose; leave about an 1/8" to a 1/4" inch gap.
- Place a large diameter washer over the head of the bolt. The hole in the washer should fit over the bolt head but rest against the bolt flange. It should be larger in diameter than the center hole in the lawnmower blade. The washer should be robust.
- Place the lawnmower blades over the washer and attach to the blade holder with 14mm bolts.
- Tighten the blade bolts...if you are lucky the blade holder will pop up as the blades press down on the washer and main blade holder bolt.

I had to repeat this process in 1/8" increments until it was loose enough to use a large hammer to finally remove the blade holder.

My blade holder was seriously rusted on....it took an amazing amount of force to remove. (I tried removing it with the leverage of a full size crowbar...even that didn't work!)

I've attached a basic diagram that I hope will help anyone else with this issue.

Philip

Attachments

• HRM215 Blade Holder Removal.JPG
    HRM215 Blade Holder Removal.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 27