How to change oil on 10hp briggs and stratton lawn mower

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to change oil on 10hp briggs and stratton lawn mower
Well if you havent seen my first post, i am new to these forums. I just got a new(well new to me) lawnmower and now i have a question. I replaced the drive belts and battery on it today and it runs good. The next task i have to do is change the oil. I cannot find an oil fill cap, dipstick, or drain plug. I dont know if its because its positioned in my mower wierd or what, but i am having issues finding it. Now its not complete ignorance (atleast i hope:eek:) because i have changed oil on countless cars before. But apparently these little motors are too much for me to handle haha. So anyways, if someone could help me out on locating these things on this motor and also help with what oil i should use, that would be great. Thanks.

mullins87

Threads
Can you post a couple of pics of the motor?

LandN

Threads
Location of the drain plug/dipstick/filler tube is probably in a area least likely to found easily, being that its a older mower and maybe engineering thoughts were different then than today.you might have to remove a 'panel/body part' to access them.Wonder if its possible that the filler tube/dipstick are even missing?

oldyellr

Threads
If it's a vertical shaft motor, the oil filler/dipstick cap will be on top, next to the flywheel. This plastic tube goes down to the bottom of the crankcase, where it is inserted into a hole with a rubber o-ring seal. You should see a plug with a square head at the side of the crankcase there. That's the oil drain plug.

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once again guys, thanks so much for the info. I havent been able to find a way to change/check the oil yet but i will continue to look.
So now onto harder things. The belt. I the drive belt broke, and i got a new one that is the right size. I have it all the way on except for on the crank pulley. My problem is the deck pulley on the crank is so big i am unable to slide the belt over it. I figure i have to take the pulley off which wouldnt be a problem except when i go to take the bolt out that holds the shaft pulleys on, the engine just spins with it so i am unable to unscrew it. Any info on what i can do? Thanks. Oh and pictures are posted in my album of my mower so if anyone wants picture references they are in there. Thanks.

oldyellr

Threads
You should not have to remove the crank pulley to install the belt. Make sure the tension is off the belt (PTO disengaged). It's usually easier to work the belt on to the larger pulley. Try turning the blade while holding the belt on the pulley.

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what i should do then is go back and take the belt off of the rear wheel pulley (which is the large pulley) and then put the belt on the other pulleys and work it on? I did try that today and i just cant get it on. I tried pretty much everything i could to get it on that way. I know it sounds like it would be harder, but i think its actually easiest to take off the crank pulley and install the belt. I dont know, if you have any other tips on getting it on the other way that would be great. Thanks.

oldyellr

Threads
Unless you're familiar with working on small engines, don't try removing the crank pulley. You'll likely need a puller and there is a keyway you have to line up to get it back on, which won't be easy with the belt on. There should be some sort of tension pulley you have to pull back to get all tension off the belt. Also, try putting the belt on the larger pulley clockwise while turning the nut with a big wrench. Also, be sure you have the right belt. I always buy generic belts from an industrial supply place instead of the manufacturers part from the dealer, because they're cheaper. The other day I was given a belt that was too short and had to take it back. Even a belt that's the right length can be hard to get on if it's the wrong section, like an "A" instead of a "$L" or a "B" instead of a "5L".

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well just as an update, the mower is completely fixed and has mowed its first lawn since ive owned it. The belt was just an inch to short, so thats why i had the issue there. Also, i was able to change the oil and its an oldschool filler on the right side of the motor so i found that too after some looking. ANyways, its a great mower. Now if i could just find out the technique of mowing without having to reverse so much.... haha but thats for another discussion. Thanks for the info and help guys. I know ill be posting again soon.