Removing Mower Blades

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An impact gun is a one handed operation when undoing because there is little torque reaction and the nut/ bolt gets easier to move.
Doing up is a different matter.
Air tools do not spin very quick, but electric ones can stop with quite a jerk.
The glove is to protect your fingers from the blade as you will be holding against the cutting edge.

RhettWS

Threads
I looked at the ACDelco Torque Adapter and it looks like a neat tool. But I really need a power impact wrench as I lack the strength to remove the nut from the angle of me lying on the floor.

I use the impact wrench to remove the blades, Torque Adapter after I have put the blades back on to set the proper torque value.

I purchased a Husky air impact wrench (model # H4435) from Home Depot. Produced more than enough torque (500 ft lbs) to remove blades and is very compact. For the amount I use it my tiny air compressor works just fine.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I second the impact wrench. If you already have an air compressor, get air tools. They are much cheaper than the Ryobi cordless setup (which I also have and love). My $25 Harbor Freight impact wrench never ceases to amaze me. I was changing bearings on my SUV, and had the wheel off when I realized I forgot to loosen the axle nut before jacking it off the ground. I tried to loosen the axle nut manually, but the wheel simply spun from the force on the socket wrench - both wheels were off the ground. Remembered the impact wrench, hooked it up to the compressor and it got the axle nut off without spinning the wheel at all.

But if you don't have a compressor or want to get started in the Ryobi cordless tools, go that route. I have 20+ Ryobi One tools and love them.

BWH

Threads
I have a number of Dewalt 18Volt tools so I waited for a sale on a 3/8" bare tool for $88. it works great, when taking the blades off my Grasshopper Duramax deck I don't have to hold the blade as the impact hits with quick hard blows and doesn't spin the blade. You will find many other uses for the cordless impact as time goes on, I did.

RustyBoy

Threads
I purchased a wimpy air impact wrench to remove the blades. In fact it might be called a compact wrench. Works like a champ to get the blades off and fits easily under my deck with the wheels up on car ramps. Recently while restoring my mower after the flood I decided to purchase a torque wrench. My old one crapped out. After shopping a bit I ran across a ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque Adapter (4-147.6 ft-lbs) -Audible alert.

I purchased it off of Amazon. Sweet little gizmo. You set the torque you want and then it beeps when you get close followed by a constant tone at the set value. Its only draw back is that in tight places it might not fit. Probably not as good as a high dollar unit but for my limited use it is perfect.

Do you attach the ACDelco Torque Adapter to your impact wrench?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never seen something as simple as blade removal and installation taken to such an extreme level.

I'm bout as old as gravel maybe, but not quite as old as dirt and I do the blades on this John Deere with this blade blocker, a 14" long box wrench and don't even elevate the mower. Takes about 20 minutes to remove, sharpen and re-install with a drop or two of oil on the threads.

I've welded a 3/4" socket into the 1" end so it works on my Murray too. It is so simple I sometimes sharpen the blades every 2 hours of operation if the grass is tuff or tall.

If you don't know how to build a blade blocker, on some mowers a 3 0r 4 inch piece of PVC pipe will work.

BTW, 60-80 lbs. of torque is plenty to hold blades on a 5/8" fine thread shaft.

Attachments

• John D LA left 2015.jpg
    John D LA left 2015.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 4
  • John Deere blade changing 2016.JPG
    John Deere blade changing 2016.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 9

Pumper54

Threads

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Make it simple take blades off sharpen reinstall tighten as tight as you can then go mow. No need to be so technical. I've never used a torque wrench on blades or lug nuts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a workshop and being liabile to damages suits, blade nuts always get done up with a torque wrench.
Five seconds more time or 5 million in a damages claim, it is a no brainer.
For home users I always encourage them to have 2 or 3 sets of blades so there is always ( in theory ) a sharp & balanced set of blades ready to be popped on.
You can sharpen & balance blades in the comfort of your shed after dark but mowing after dark is a PIA and a tad more dangerious.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a no brainer an attorney would have you eating your torque wrench for lunch without documentation you won't have in the court room.