Fuel Solenoid Removal

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs engine John Deere LA-135
Mod 407777
type 0188 B1
code 080125 ys

Does the solenoid on this engine screw out ? If so, is there a special tool recommended for removal ?

Attachments

• John Deere solenoid- 2016.JPG
    John Deere solenoid- 2016.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 31

mjb8fj

Threads
I have a thin 1/2" wrench I use to take them out. I also have a few cheap wrenches that I filed/grinder to get them thin enough to get in there

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
In your experience, if the solenoid has an audible click and can be felt moving when the ignition is switched to "on", the solenoid is ok ? That is, nothing to break or stick that would prevent normal fuel flow.

I see John Deere and Briggs have collaborated to make the solenoid part a secret, but they do make the gasket number available. Bless their corporate hearts.

If it screws out I can make a thin 1/2" wrench to remove it.

Thanks

Glyn Robinson

Threads
i would take the bowl off. you can see it move when switching the on, and off.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i would take the bowl off. you can see it move when switching the on, and off.

I would love to take the bowl off but it seems as if John Deere and Briggs didn't want me to do that unless the carburetor is removed and that's not a simple process as it once was.

Another question is; what does this solenoid actually do? With it being 90° to the bowl it appears its function could be to block float/needle seat operation rather than possibly blocking the main jet, but I've found that information doesn't readily appear in my searches.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fuel inlet on that carb is in the side of the jet tube so it works the same.
Chances are the main jet will be tucked up inside the tube and plugged off so it can not be "fiddled " with.
Shinny bums at the EPA making useless laws to make it look like something is happening while actually making no difference at all.

Down here they use RACIST & ZENOPHOBIC reasoning that tighter emissions regulations will stem the flow of cheap dirty forein imported engines into OZ.
A bit silly being that Briggs closed our last small engine plant this year and of course the Chinese can make clean engines just as easy as they can make dirty ones, it just costs $ 20 more.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuel inlet on that carb is in the side of the jet tube so it works the same.
Chances are the main jet will be tucked up inside the tube and plugged off so it can not be "fiddled " with.
Shinny bums at the EPA making useless laws to make it look like something is happening while actually making no difference at all.

Down here they use RACIST & ZENOPHOBIC reasoning that tighter emissions regulations will stem the flow of cheap dirty forein imported engines into OZ.
A bit silly being that Briggs closed our last small engine plant this year and of course the Chinese can make clean engines just as easy as they can make dirty ones, it just costs $ 20 more.
I take it you've had a few of these apart. Did you find anything in particular that would inhibit fuel flow either to the carburetor or from the bowl to the combustion chambers?

Last edited: