John Deere STX 46 won't turn over unless starter is jumped

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere STX 46 won't turn over unless starter is jumped
Hello everyone.
My battery is good. Tested at 12.5 volts, starts fine if starter is jumped with battery.

I can jump start the starter with jumper cables and it fires right up and runs fine.

When I turn the key to start: nothing

How do I test if my key switch is bad?
I tried taking off the connector to the key switch, and jumping the ground and starter wires: nothing

Taking connector off and jumping from the connector ground and the starter wire AFTER the solenoid (or coil? under the gear shift, unsure of the name): turns over fine.

Is it absolutely my coil/solenoid whatever that mess of wires is under the gear lever?

I just picked this mower up for free, so I am not too familiar with it. If the brake is ON, will it start WITHOUT someone sitting on it? (I'm trying to fix this myself and don't have an extra person with me)

Will simply unplugging the seat switch make it to where I can start it? (Once again, I understand the safety issue, I just only have so many hands by myself)

Thank you!

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
should I be posting this in the John Deere section? I wasn't sure since this section is "repair". Thank you!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello ... again..
I see you have the identical problem posted in the Craftsman forum....
You need to take a couple pictures of what you are referring to... post them with the correct mower... and no don't start a third posting... this is the repair forum and should do fine.

Key Switch will NOT apply ground to the starter solenoid...
Again, (also in the other post0, the KEY switch applies 12volts to the starter solenoid small terminal... that 12 volts goes THROUGH all the safety switches including the operator present switch under the seat. IF you unplug the switch it becomes an open... 12volts will not go through it... to bypass that switch you will need to put a shunt across the two wires that go to that switch.

There is also likely a clutch or transmission switch... AND a part of the PTO switch will be in the starter circuit to insure that the PTO is not on.....
Tho there will be a few differences but both of your mowers will have almost identical safety circuits...

:smile:KennyV

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put a new solenoid in and it fired right up!
So I'm thinking that my LT1000 Craftsman has the same problem. I picked up 3 mowers that all had the same exact problem. I'm going to pick up another universal solenoid and try it in both.