SLT 1554 Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Replacement

Hairfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SLT 1554 Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Replacement
Replaced the broken right axle on my SLT 1554 Cub. Cracked the seal on the casing with the transmission still in the frame and replaced the broken axle easily. After I got the casing halves bolted back together I rotated the right axle clockwise and noticed that the left axle rotated in the opposite direction. Keep in mind it's possible that I'm the long lost fourth stooge, so nothing with regard to this repair should be a given. That said, none of the fwd/rev assembly, brake assembly, or actuator bypass assembly have been reinstalled. I got the casing back together with a half dozen bolts and decided to test the rotation. This can't be right, but the gears can only assemble one way...or am I wrong about that? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a good place to stop for a sanity check.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The differential is working correctly. the pinion gears in the differential is what causes it to rotate the opposite direction. If you jack up both drive tires on your vehicle and turn one wheel the other wheel will turn the opposite direction unless you have a locking differential of some sort.

Hairfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's great news brother. Now I can begin the challenge of getting all of the ancillary assemblies put back the way they are intended to be. Pray for me my friend!