MTD Autodrive T604 - intermittently can't engage cutters.

Tankpants

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Autodrive T604 - intermittently can't engage cutters.
Hi there,

This is my first post in the forum so Hello!!

I have a problem with my MTD Autodrive T604 ride-on mower I wondered if anyone here can help solve the problem.

Depsite being a little old and battered it generally starts and runs well. However, there is an intermittent problem with the cutters in that sometimes the cutters just won't engage. The cutters automaticlly stop when reverse gear is selected but someitmes when I try to re-engage the cutters after I re-select the forward gear, the cutters won't engage. Ususally I try fiddling the cutter switch but that doesn't help so I just keep driving with the switch pulled out (in the "on" psoition) and after a 10 to 20 sconds the cutters suddenly engage. However, sometimes they don't and I end up having to park the machine for a little while and when I go back to it a little while later it works fine. I think it may be worse when I've been using it for a while and and the machine is hot but not sure.

Do you think I need a new cutter switch?

Hope you can help!!

Thanks!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you need a reverse cut off switch. Get me your model number and I will get you the part number and hopefully where it is located.

Tankpants

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply.

I've looked on the sticker under the seat for the model number but I'm not sure whihc number you'll so I'll tell you them all!! They are:

13AT604H643

AH 6180 222 KG

1L121H20046

I hope one of these will tell you what you need to know!

Thanks a lot.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found the 2 safety switches you have in the mower. One has 4 wires and the other has 2 wires. I am betting the 4 wire is the seat switch and 2 wire is the reverse. Now you have to do some detective work and find what switch you need to replace. The thing you move to get to reverse will push the switch. You will have to follow the movement of the part to find where it is. When you find the switch you should test it to see if it is working. My guess would be it is sticking in the pushed in position when reverse is released. Part numbers below.

By the way it was a real pain in the bottom to find a diagram that was readable.

First number you posted is the model number. 13AT604H643

925-1747 2 pole
925-1657A 4 pole

Tankpants

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks BlazNT, I'll check out the switches. It looks like a replacement should be easy enough to come by.

I'll let you knwo how I get on.

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be very careful when replacing safety switches.
Double check you have the correct switch and then before you install it check that you are not going to send 12V to the coil.
All the coil cut out wires are earth wires so will either be earth or open circuit
Some reverse switches are wired into the start circuit so have 12V on one side to energise the starter solenoid and others just have cut out wires.
So check the plug that the switch goes into for 12V.
To test the seat switch start the mower then get off the seat both with the brake on & off.
Do it several times
If the engine dies when you get off the seat, brake off then the set switch is working properly.
If you can start the engine brake on and not start the engine brake off then the brake switch is working properly.