x304 Snow Blade questions

ejg593

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got questions regarding snow removal with an x304.

I had a 1983 JD 212 & used it to push snow in my driveway, which is 25ft long, mostly flat &/or slight decline to the street. It has a 42" blade, wheel weights & TerraGrip chains & did a nice job.

This summer I upgraded to a 2011 x304 (with only 100hrs!) - smoother action & better steering to cover my acre yard w/trees. I don't plan on keeping the 212, so figured I'd get the setup for snow on my 304. I've done research & know plowing lots of heavy snow over years will be tough on the 304's system, but living in KCMO most of our snow falls are 2-4", maybe one or two per winter at 6-8" with 24" average total for an entire winter...so it's not like I'm in northern Michigan. I know with the 4-wheel steering, I can't have wheel weights...so have to do suitcase weights, or more than likely, rear buckets filled with sand (cheaper & more weight than suitcases). I can still do chains or TerraGrips for added traction.

So, here's my questions: Do you see any problems with this setup? Anything I should tweak or pay particular attention to? Lastly...I own the 42" blade from the 212....will this fit on the x304? I'm sure there's a bracket to make it work, right?

Thanks guys!

mjb8fj

Threads
I don't see any problems with your set up, myself. I worked for JD for manyyyyy years and never really had problems with the machines. Only thing I have really seen as far as the transmission, with the extra weight on there run it at full throttle. Seems the less than full throttle with the weight on there would do damage to the pump and the guts of the transmissions.

As far as the blade, I don't know on that. For a long time they would fit from the old to new, but I cant be positive cause I think they might have changed that, just like every manufacturer does just to get you to buy the new. I couldn't tell you either way on that one.