Ever Wear a Pocket Knife Out?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's difficult to do because I find this badly worn knife, after 20 years, very handy for some carving tasks that the new knife wouldn't do well.

It was lost, or should I say mis-placed, for nearly a year and that's why there is a new knife to compare. I'd rather not tell where I found it and it wasn't even in the last place I looked because I wasn't looking for it when I found it. :laughing:

Attachments

• Knife schrade old and new.JPG
    Knife schrade old and new.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 25

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's difficult to do because I find this badly worn knife, after 20 years, very handy for some carving tasks that the new knife wouldn't do well.

It was lost, or should I say mis-placed, for nearly a year and that's why there is a new knife to compare. I'd rather not tell where I found it and it wasn't even in the last place I looked because I wasn't looking for it when I found it. :laughing:

When I was working, an Imperial Schrade 4-inch lockback with a serrated rear section on the cutting edge of the blade was the best pocket knife I ever used. They were cheap ($10 at Menards) almost never needed sharpening, lasted a long time, and I still have one in the factory package. I used mine mainly for opening cartons, ripping cardboard and plastic, cutting nylon strapping, and all sorts of heavy cutting and scoring. Best frickin' knife I ever used for the money. Never wore them out, lost them, lots of times.

Bison

Threads
i never seem to keep them long enough to even take the edge off.
I lost oodles of pocket knives over the years.
All i carry these days is a cheap stanley knife.

noma

Threads
Hi SandburRanch

I also have the same problem i loss them a lot faster then ware one out,sometimes i forget that i have it in my pocket and when we fly on a airplane i have to leave it with them at airport security crew witch they throw it right in the garbage can ,it's not worth going back to the car with it a $8.oo knife .Always go to Menards and get another one on the way home.:tongue:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've sharpened a couple down to almost a scribe like that... tool many years, and like you say, they are easy to get use to over a long period of time...

Airports don't throw them away... They are collected, sorted, bagged up and sent to the major hubs. There they are resorted and sold, at auction in large lots, Check GSA auctions... they come up often... lots of folks loose their knives this way... some very expensive at that... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
I'm one of the people that loses a knife as fast as I can buy one. Right now I'm using an old barlow until I lose it that is. I have my leatherman, but I tend not to use it because it has pinched me on several occations and boy does that smart. I have my late father's work knife (a capenter) he sharpened it so much it only has a one inch stub left. I don't think I could ever bring myself to use it because I know what will ultimately happen, it will be lost.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've sharpened a couple down to almost a scribe like that... tool many years, and like you say, they are easy to get use to over a long period of time...

Airports don't throw them away... They are collected, sorted, bagged up and sent to the major hubs. There they are resorted and sold, at auction in large lots, Check GSA auctions... they come up often... lots of folks loose their knives this way... some very expensive at that... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, when I was working, I handled a lot of the items that went to the State of Michigan surplus property auctions, and many of the knives and other items that were confisticated at the airports found their way to the state auctions. The knives, etc that didn't sell in lots at auctions were sold individually for a dollar, two dollars, etc. at the public stores. They were pretty much worth about what you paid for them.

fastback

Threads
Well you guys did it to me. After reading the thread I decided to buy a new knife. I was at Home Depot and looked at a Sheffield, at $10.00 it was cheap enough so I bought it. We all know where it was made (the C word) but it was sharp. I wonder how long it will take me to lose it?