I'm buying a SCAG mower this week and I need advice

mcdonell

Threads
  • / I'm buying a SCAG mower this week and I need advice
Congrats Texas Vet. I think you will be happy with the Cheetah. I think maybe one of the downsides for the Cheetah is the length which can occupy too much of the mower trailer for folks in the business. However, I see plenty of them on trailers and they seem pretty popular down here in the Lone Star State. I am also a Texas Vet. 101st 3/506 Infantry Viet Nam Jungle experienced.

The Cheetah was my first ZTR. I was surprised by how much less effort it takes to turn and mow over the traditional garden tractor mower. I also find my self slowing to a crawl over rough patches then making up time by pushing both levers forward and racing towards the next turn. The 27hp Kawasaki is plenty powerful and the Cheetah is not afraid of tall grass. The Cheetah is heavy. Anything you hit is destroyed. The Cheetah can take the abuse, fence posts ect, not so much. I did hook a small link chain to the grass chute so I can raise it as needed. I like to mow in one direction and then use my 50" sweeper to clean up the clippings. Although I park it in my shop, I still feel more comfortable knowing I have hidden power switch on the mower. One final thing, my wife complained about the deck pedal pushing back on the bottom of her foot. I made an electrical box into a pedal. I have to admit that I like it too. There is a photo on this forum somewhere.

I check this forum fairly regular, although I am just a homeowner. There are folks on this forum, like Mad Mackie, that are in the business and really know these machines and can help a bunch. Best of luck to ya. BTW, beware of the neighbors that think you bought the Cheetah to mow their yards too. Like you, I hate mowing. The Cheetah on the other hand, loves it.

texasvet

Threads
Congrats Texas Vet. I think you will be happy with the Cheetah. I think maybe one of the downsides for the Cheetah is the length which can occupy too much of the mower trailer for folks in the business. However, I see plenty of them on trailers and they seem pretty popular down here in the Lone Star State. I am also a Texas Vet. 101st 3/506 Infantry Viet Nam Jungle experienced.

The Cheetah was my first ZTR. I was surprised by how much less effort it takes to turn and mow over the traditional garden tractor mower. I also find my self slowing to a crawl over rough patches then making up time by pushing both levers forward and racing towards the next turn. The 27hp Kawasaki is plenty powerful and the Cheetah is not afraid of tall grass. The Cheetah is heavy. Anything you hit is destroyed. The Cheetah can take the abuse, fence posts ect, not so much. I did hook a small link chain to the grass chute so I can raise it as needed. I like to mow in one direction and then use my 50" sweeper to clean up the clippings. Although I park it in my shop, I still feel more comfortable knowing I have hidden power switch on the mower. One final thing, my wife complained about the deck pedal pushing back on the bottom of her foot. I made an electrical box into a pedal. I have to admit that I like it too. There is a photo on this forum somewhere.

I check this forum fairly regular, although I am just a homeowner. There are folks on this forum, like Mad Mackie, that are in the business and really know these machines and can help a bunch. Best of luck to ya. BTW, beware of the neighbors that think you bought the Cheetah to mow their yards too. Like you, I hate mowing. The Cheetah on the other hand, loves it.

Thanks for the info McDonnel,

I'm a Vietnam Era Vet, 73-77. I was in electronics and was stationed stateside.

I ordered the Cheetah today and they should have it in a week. My daughter-in-law, that mows 5 acres with a Gravely, told me that I should have taken the 10K and had someone mow the yard instead of buying an expensive mower. When I said that she can borrow it when her Gravely is in the shop, she sang a different song.

I'll post again after I get the Cheetah, but I'm already sure that I'll love it.

One more thing; they told me that they would fill it up with gas and check it out when it arrives in a week or so. I told them to put as little gas as possible in it because I'm going to only use ethanol-free gas.

Texasvet

Last edited:

Steve0853

Threads
Add me to the list of folks who think you made a good decision. The Cheetah will probably last as long as you do. It will handle all of your grass cutting needs, unless you really get into some high stuff and it will take less time to do your yard. Congrats on your new Scag.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We own three Tiger Cat mowers with the Kawasaki motor and 52" decks. One has 1200 hours on it. One has less than 1000 and the other has 0ver 200.

The Tiger cat is an awesome machine. In my personal opinion a Turf Tiger and a Cheeta are both overkill. Why pay the extra money? We cut 18 1/2 acres yesterday. We have cut over 20 acres in a day with ours.

If you buy Scag do NOT buy less than the Tiger Cat. Any model below it does not have the Velocity deck. That is what makes Scag the game changer when it comes to cutting grass.

I personally have never run or watched a mower run that will cut grass with a Scag with the Velocity Deck.

Many companies make reliable mowers. I have not personally seen anything that will cut grass with the Scag. It is an awesome machine.

I am 59 years old and have a crew that cuts commercially. If you are buying it for just your own property you will never need another mower. I know of a Tiger Cub that is over 20 years old that runs just as good as my Tiger Cats.

I see all of these people talking about gas. I run pump gas in all of my mowers and other equipment and I have not had any fuel problems. We use 5 gallons of mixed gas a week and many times run 7 gallons of gas a day through the Tiger Cats.

mcdonell

Threads
Interesting read jekjr. Your probably right and I yield to your vast experience. You are definitely cutting some serious amount of grass.

I know the Cheetah is probably overkill for me. My dealer said as much. My issue is I hate mowing my 3 acres but I like the golf course look. I don't want to wait on a crew to decide when they want to come mow it. During peak season, I mow about every 4 days.

The 61" v deck knocks it out fast and I stay comfortable in the seat. I like Kawasaki motors. I hope it is my last mower. I am in year 3 and it only has 100 hours. I only mow other yards when folks are laid up and truly in need. I hate mowing. Oh, I already said that. :)

texasvet

Threads
Well, I've had my Cheetah for a month or so now and I really like it. It is way better than my old JD.

One question for you guys: One of the two acres that I have is pretty rough and I have to slow down quite a bit. Would replacing the solid front tires with inflated tires smooth out the ride any?

Thanks,

mcdonell

Threads
I have a couple of spots that I slow down quite a bit to keep my belly from bouncing off my chin. In all seriousness, I have thought about hauling in some sandy loam to spread with my 6ft box blade to smooth out some areas. However in the mean time, I have dumped my grass sweeper in the area to fill in the rough spots.

I have too many goat head burrs to consider getting rid of my solid front tires. I doubt air tires on the small front wheels would help enough to be worth the expense. I talked with a guy with a Hustler that added a front suspension option. He said it wasn't worth the added expense. I would think the suspension would also effect the quality of the grass cut.

I will watch this thread to maybe pick up some tips. But I am not optimistic. My advice is to play with your seat adjustments to find the best result. I usually slow down in the rough spots, let the deck bounce, and lean forward slightly on the seat.

Please post any info you may find worthy.

clay45

Threads
Goat heads!!!! I haven't heard of them in years. The grounds of our elementary school were covered in them. Anytime you came out of your shoes you regretted it. I'd be looking for solid rear tires too.

texasvet

Threads
One more thing about my Cheetah.

Where in the WWWOS is my cup holder? Two tanks are great, but couldn't there be a cup holder molded into the top of one of them?

Texasvet

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A cup holder is an option from Scag for a Cheetah, but a cup holder on a 12 to 16 MPH machine???? My Tiger Cub is an 8 MPH machine with a molded in the fuel tank cup holder and no cup, can or bottle will stay put without holding it in place and I seldom mow over 6 MPH. I would much rather have a fuel gauge than a cup holder.:laughing::biggrin::smile: