Mower deck F735 deck belt running hot

Lib

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere F735 front mower. Think it's a 1999. I have premature deck belt failures; and believe it's due to the belt running very hot. Cannot see the reason for this. Any help appreciated. Thanks

gainestruk

Threads
If the belt is loose or if one or more of the blade mandrel's has bearing that is freezing up it will cause belt to slide on pulley and cause it to heat up.
Make sure tensioner is holding belt tight and check each blade and make sure they are moving freely.

Lib

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the belt is loose or if one or more of the blade mandrel's has bearing that is freezing up it will cause belt to slide on pulley and cause it to heat up.
Make sure tensioner is holding belt tight and check each blade and make sure they are moving freely.

Thanks for the reply; will check all three mandrels, as I replace belt. I see no leaks, but will check drive pulley gear box oil also. Along with checking for play or rough bearings in it too. Box has to be partially unbolted to slide belt under. Spring loaded tensioner is keeping belt tight.

gainestruk

Threads
While you have covers off check around a make sure belt isn't rubbing anything including sticks and other debris, friction causes heat. Look at all covers for bright shiny areas where belt is rubbing and polishing it.

Lib

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everything checks out ok. Could overgreasing cause bearings to heat up. Seems I've read this before. Operator has been greasing after each use. Think it should be after each 50 hours. I tend to see the double V and it's threading causing continuos flexing in both directions possibly causing this. The design of the beast.

gainestruk

Threads
No I don't think greasing after each use will cause heat, I do the same on my Husqvarna Z-Turn and I have had no belt problems in 140 hrs.
Does the belt look "polished" like mechanic mark said check idler pulleys, if one isn't turning like it should that would heat belt up pretty fast, if back of belt has polished look that would be sign of idler not turning.

Lib

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belt does not have polished look. Idlers spin freely, and to me smoothly; hearing impaired, so go by feel. They have polished surfaces, and a bit of sideways rock. One was misaligned, as far as being parallel to spindle pulleys, and I corrected this.
Made no difference. It's an ongoing mystery for several years now. Thanks for everyones attention and suggestions.
Lib

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bad bearings may feel or act much different with the belt off no load and rotated by hand vs tensioned by the idler running. Try mowing for about 20 minutes, shut the mower down then feel the bearings housings for temperature differential.