Mower deck Husqvarna YTH22V46 Mower Is Scalping

rudyr89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone,

I sold my self propelled Husqvarna mower and purchased a Husqvarna YTH22V46 riding mower. I brought the mower home 2 weeks ago on a Friday night. Saturday morning I jumped out of bed and started checking everything out on the mower. Everything seemed fine until I started mowing. The deck was on the highest setting (6) and was cutting extremely low. I continue regardless because my grass really needed a good cut.

My yard is close to a half acre and isn't level at all. I noticed with an little incline or even when turning the deck would scalp the grass very badly. I adjusted the deck and lowered the anti scalping wheels and it was a lot better than last time but is still scalping. Can anyone give me any pointers/suggestions?

Here are some pictures

29387262333_58ef6fa302_b.jpg

29719731340_8d08493d1e_b.jpg

29387257863_b0beccd4a8_b.jpg

29719728660_1d065dc251_b.jpg

29387255193_9c9252b966_b.jpg

I took a video so you can see how it's still scalping my yard pretty badly. I still have room to adjust the side nut for the height but noticed the belt for the blades are almost touching the deck already. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your deck is not level left right and by the time you get to the edge of the deck that makes a big difference.
Check the tyre pressure with a low pressure tyre gauge 0-20 psi.
A 1 psi differential will make a big difference to the cut height.
The deck should have 3 mounts plus the draw bar at the front.
Check the rear anti sway mount and the bracket it mounts to on the mower
Put the mower on you concrete drive and check the front back leveling.
Chances are the draw bars are too loose and the blades have too much attack.
With the blades both facing forward, the front should be 1/4" lower than the back.
You should have blade leveling instructions in the owners manual.
Remember you are adjusting the bldes, not the deck and all measurement must be taken from the blade tips to ground.
Some one here said to wrap an old styrene coffee cup around a bit of 2x4 then press the blade into it to get a mark you can then take out and measure accurately .
As for turning the deck will always tip when you turn, the tighter and/or faster you turn the more it will tip . Ditto for soft tyres, softer the tyres the worse the corned tip will be.

rudyr89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome, thank you so much bertsmobile1! I will take a look at all of this tomorrow. I'll have to look at the manual to identify all the different parts you mention.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a bit more time as tomorrow is a PH down here.
So Downloaded the IPL & Owners for you mower.
The deck lift is not what I though you have a pair of stabilizers on each side and no anti sway bar .
From your photo it looks like the front is too high.
Unless the anti scalp rollers go in the front holes on the drag link bracket I will guess that the drag link is in the wrong hole which is causing the front to be too high and the rear of the blades are doing the scalping.
This is called heeling.
The belt should run close to the deck but it should not be touching it.

rudyr89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Bertsmobile1, I wanted to give you an update. I did everything I possibly could to align this darn thing. I had enough so I called lowes service and they told me they couldn't correct the problem. They offered to exchange the unit for another one so I'm giving John Deere a try. I ended up picking up the D130. So far so good!