Electrical Issue Possibly??

Beau

Threads
I need a bit of help here. I have a Simplicity mower with a Kohler CV493S 18 HP engine. I thought I was having coil issues a while back but now am thinking it may be something else.

So here's the story. at the beginning of the summer my mower would run for 5 or 10 minutes then shutdown. I'd wait a few minutes, hear a click and then was able to start it again. I originally thought the click was coming from the coil so I picked up a cheap coil off of ebay and replaced it. That worked for about three cuts them the same thing started to occur so I figured maybe I got a bad coil so I went to the local lawn shop and bought another coil. About 30 bucks more than the first one and is the exact same coil. Worked for about three cuts and back to shutting down after about 5 or 10 minutes. Obviously there is a temperature thing going on with some part somewhere.

The engine still makes the click when it cools down enough to start but now it doesn't sound like its coming from the coil. Now it sounds like the click is coming from the side of the engine that the regulator/rectifier is on or possibly from the regulator itself.

As a side note the fuel shutoff solenoid sometimes get extremely hot and I'm not sure if this is normal.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Beau

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm betting that the fuel solenoid is going to be your problem, it should not get hot. Probably hot opening, which means when it gets hot the windings open up not allowing current to flow, which will shut off the fuel. When it cools down the winding reconnects and the solenoid works properly until it gets hot again.

Beau

Threads
I'm betting that the fuel solenoid is going to be your problem, it should not get hot. Probably hot opening, which means when it gets hot the windings open up not allowing current to flow, which will shut off the fuel. When it cools down the winding reconnects and the solenoid works properly until it gets hot again.

I was sort of thinking it may be the culprit but what would cause it to go bad, just typical wear?