John Deere LT160 wont start

kevinjgray88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John deere LT160 it wont start but this is what happens.
1. The starter gear comes up
2. It engages the flywheel
3. The flywheel turns
And thats all, no engine noises
The flywheel key was broke I replaced that and put in a new spark plug.
The battery is fine it worked about 2 days prior and now this
Any ideas?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With these revolting developments, let's check the timing and spark first even though it could be other possibilities.

Remove the spark plugs and put one plug back on its plug wire. While holding a thumb or finger on the plug hole and the side of the plug grounded to the head, have a helper crank the engine. If you have spark and the timing is correct, and you watch and listen closely, you will see spark at exactly the same time your thumb/finger is blown from the plug hole. This is a 2 birds with one stone test. Spark and timing. I recommend some eye protection for this test.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i dont feel any compression
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AW Heck, I forgot about that compression test so I guess It's like killing 3 birds with one stone.:laughing:

A valve could be stuck open or if its a overhead valve engine it could be a pushrod problem.

kevinjgray88

Forum Newbie
Threads
is there anything else easy i could check before those two things you mentioned?
how would i check for a stuck valve. i really dont have much for engine knowledge:thumbsup:
thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
is there anything else easy i could check before those two things you mentioned?
how would i check for a stuck valve. i really dont have much for engine knowledge:thumbsup:
thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It just doesn't get any easier or cheaper than those two things mentioned to test for spark, timing and now compression. If you can replace a broken flywheel key you can do this test.

How were you testing for compression to determine it had no compression?

kevinjgray88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took off the valve cover and turned the engine over and both valves seemed like they were moving fine. no sticking or anything. I did notice some oil just under the valves is that normal? I did notice they were making a clicking noise tho also is that normal? it is a louder click. i check compression with my finger like you said. I know its not a guage but I didnt feel anything really just a little air movement

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took off the valve cover and turned the engine over and both valves seemed like they were moving fine. no sticking or anything. I did notice some oil just under the valves is that normal? I did notice they were making a clicking noise tho also is that normal? it is a louder click. i check compression with my finger like you said. I know its not a guage but I didnt feel anything really just a little air movement
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The clicking may be caused by too much valve lash. Follow the service manual for setting the valves for your particular engine. It isn't difficult using the manual as a guide and inexpensive tools. If after setting valve lash the compression still won't blow your finger from the spark plug hole it is time for a trip to a reputable small engine shop.

To answer an earlier question - the electric fuel solenoid shut off is often at the bottom of the carburetor bowl. If one thinks a lack of gas is the culprit for not starting, a teaspoon of gasoline can be placed directly in the carburetor throat after removing the air filter and an engine will run until that fuel is used up.