Help w/used Tiger Cat evaluation

land_owner

Threads
2008, 48" deck, with 1,300 hours. Commercial mower is selling. I am a homeowner. He uses and prefers Mahindra ZTR's - IIRC. Pole Barn kept and owned only for 6 months (no idea yet about former owner). Has terrific (looking) deck and all-around metal. Some light rust on bright metal and coil springs from salt laden, mid-Florida, coastal environment.

I have neither seen nor driven this mower - yet. Monday I will take a hard look. In the meantime, I will be foraging the Scag Forum for Tiger Cat "problems", concerns, and pre-purchase advice. I am not new to the Tiger Cat. I owned one, brand new, with 300 hours, that went to the EX.

Reading through the "Welcome" posts I note a number of considerations from others that I want to ask the owner about (not known conditions - just Q's to ask):
1. OVERHEATING
2. STAYING IN GEAR
3. OVERDRIVING THE WHEELS (TOO MUCH TORQUE)
4. HYDRAULICS STICKING
5. OIL CHANGES
6. CLUTCH LAST REPAIRED/REPLACED
7. BACKFIRES
8. GOVERNOR RACES
9. CUT OFF SWITCHES IN GOOD CONDITION
10. ZERK FITTINGS ON SPINDLES
11. ACCESSIBLE CENTER SPINDLE ZERK FITTING
12. ZERK FITTINGS ON FRONT WHEELS
13. ZERK ON PARKING BRAKE ACCUATOR
14. BATTERY DRAIN
15. LOCAL DEALER
16. TIRES PLUGGED
17. BELT REPLACED
18. OIL CHANGED
19. SMOKE

This list in not comprehensive. Is there a "Used Mower" advice section or thread?

Last edited:

land_owner

Threads
KRUD...this seemed to be going well until...I noted the machine advertised is a Tiger CUB and not what I want.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep Cub and Cat are not even close.

land_owner

Threads
It might be OK. My usage is really very minimal, less than an acre. It is doubtful, for a homeowner, that the Cat would be "that much better" unless it was priced the same. As I said, I had a Tiger Cat, garage kept, that I put over 250 hours on over 2.5 years, right off the showroom floor. That isn't much use. My neighbor, a Lawn Care Professional, has three Cats. He steered me in the Cat direction for the two and a half acres I had back then. Maybe the Cub would be all that I need? I mean, it'll certainly cut the yard!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Tiger Cat is an upgraded Tiger Cub. Early Tiger Cubs are different than the later models. In 2010 the Tiger Cub morfed into a Tiger Cat.
I have a 2008 Tiger Cub with a 48" deck that I have done several upgrades to, a suspension seat being one of the upgrades, the rest are minor.
My machine has a ridged roll over bar which is foldable on Tiger Cat models.

land_owner

Threads
As a homeowner, I bought it, 26.5 HP B&S. I checked it out...to the extent that one can "check out" a used ZTR mower in 30-minutes, and found it suitable.

It has a "$0.50" piece corrosion hole in the deck at the center spindle. Concern, but still OK. The underside of the deck will get power washed, soap and solvent cleaned, Naval Jelly (Ospho) on corrosion, a steel patch plate, through bolted, and Flex Seal throughout.

The key ignition switch is tempramental. I will buy and install a new switch.

The parking brake does not hold. I read a thread (and will reread) about making that adjustment. If after adjustment it does not hold, I will replace parts. A reliable parking brake is a must.

The mower is really clean. What I had thought was rust on bright metal parts turns out to be poor photography and bad lighting. I have a set of mower blades and will install them at once to inspect and "manage" the existing blades, which I could not check.

There was no end-play in the spindles. The belts were tight and not frayed. The mower responded well to the deck drive initiation knob. The mower and deck is level.

Engine oil was brown, still somewhat translucent on the dip stick, certainly not black, still new-ish, but the oil fill and dip stick did not smell burned. I suspect a recent oil change for this sale, but at least I won't have to for a while. The hydraulic oil was not milky.

The no-arm-rest seat rocks back onto a piece of 2" x 4" rather than the shut off switch and springs. When the deck is turned off and the operator steps off, the mower continues to run. That'll need to be fixed.

The front left wheel has one, dime-sized, triangle-shaped gouge in it that is "suspicious". When I asked if they were No-Flat tires he said "Yes, but it still holds air". Wait a minute! A no-flat tire is SOLID, right? Still, a new tire may need to be purchased in the near future.

There is a new battery and the fellow selling the unit was "forthcoming" with "reasonable sounding answers" to all of my questions, but no maintenance history. Between the lines it seems that he bought a crudded up mower of sound structural integrity, cleaned it up, replaced a part or two, used it in his yard a bit, and now wants to sell it for more than he paid. So we negotiated and I got some of the asking price reduced. Win-win.

I may have to buy some parts - all rather benign for now in comparison to what will lie ahead for an 8-year old mower with 1,300 hours on it. Some assembly will be required. But then every mower requires maintenance and this one will too. Good thing I am handy with a wrench. Thanks Granddad. A true Mechanic's mechanic that made his own parts! Electrical - not so good. I will inquire "before" I screw up...or rather "then" screw up as that is generally how it goes.

I downloaded a User Manual from another post. Going back I note that I need the Model and Serial numbers. Getting that now. Thanks for all of the great information on this Forum.

Last edited: