Trying to figure out name or serial # of Toro Recycler part to replace wire

conceptengrspa

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying to figure out name or serial # of Toro Recycler part to replace wire
The household I stay in mows its lawn with a Toro 22" Recycler Lawn Mower (20067).
After the clutch broke 5 years ago, another piece broke too and the owner of the lawnmower has decided to replace this piece
with a hanger wire an a twist tie. Without a proper clutch, the mower just runs and runs until unplugged from the spark plug.
20160925_134755.jpg
After just recently having to use a wire flag for finding a phone line to get it to work, I want to to find the piece that the wire is working as to properly fix it. I fear that the engine will either burn itself out, blow up to hurt somebody or cause a fire. I am tired of fearing all three everytime I or anyone else uses this machine. Maybe none will happen but I still want the piece replaced.

A new lawnmower cannot be bought and repairs will probably be made by me. I have the clutch, I believe.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The part you need is the brake cable, Toro part number 104-8676.

conceptengrspa

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part you need is the brake cable, Toro part number 104-8676.

If I let it run the way it was, what is the worst that could happen if its still used that way?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The worst thing that can happen is someone could be seriously injured or death. You have no way to stop the engine on short notice. Doing things like this led to the government putting rules on being able to stop the blade spinning in three seconds.

conceptengrspa

Forum Newbie
Threads
The worst thing that can happen is someone could be seriously injured or death. You have no way to stop the engine on short notice. Doing things like this led to the government putting rules on being able to stop the blade spinning in three seconds.

I wanted to fix it and came to the same conclusion, which is why I asked. However, I was forced to do it anyway with the broken machine above. The owner of the lawn and the lawnmower did not care, considered it an excuse, and wanted it done anyway.

Thank you for your answer and your help. I really appreciate it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to let you know that according to the law, you can be held partially responsible if someone would get hurt as a result of that unit not shutting down. You worked on the unit and did know that the safety brake was not working properly. You do not have to be in business to be held responsible and nothing the owner says can keep another person who is injure from coming after you. If you are in business you have two choices when finding a safety issue. Have the owner allow you to bring all safety issue up to code or stop work immediately and do not do any other repairs, plus document why with the owners signature that he understands why you will do no other work on the unit. About once a month I will repair safety issues that the owner overrode at his cost, which he just redos when he gets home. It's called cover your butt, and I've had many owners rip me a new one when they learn what my choices are. You and your family are more important than any owner, friend or not. I know this is stupid, but thought I would let you know.