Spam

Bwells

Threads
Today appears to be National Spam Day! Four new members posted threads with garbage. One started 7 threads in 2 minutes.
Is Catherine an administrator/moderator?

MowerMike

Threads
The problem is that reported SPAM stays up for days. The one I reported yesterday on this subforum is still up today. The forum I used to moderate would delete spam within minutes of being reported. That forum offered paid memberships with special perks and the moderators got free memberships as compensation. Maybe this forum needs to recruit more moderators.

Bwells

Threads
Does anyone know who the admins and mods are? Do they show up often? Catherine has a title of Lawn World Support but I don't know what that means. There has been gobs of spam here yet other forums have none. I'm not sure if there is a "spam detector" in the hosting site or if it is something that has to be manually deleted. If more mods are needed, I will step up to the plate although I an new here. I just hate to see this garbage.

Cocoloco

Threads
Only SPAM I like is with Chips!! that's french fries to you guys, since I joined the forum I have been getting loads of SPAM.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
spam has, and will always be a problem...some sites appear to have little or no spam, but it is really the nature of those forums that drive the spammers........On one site I moderate I see one spammer a month and on another it is daily....now on the one that sees little...it is a jeep forum for people who like to mud and rock climb....the site has over 1000 posts a day and we are very active watching the site, the site that sees alot of spam is a heating and air conditioning site that has about 50 posts a day, so spam posts sit on the site longer because there is less moderator attention to it. I know it is not the answer to why, just something I noticed on the two sites. I also noticed that sites that allow for alot of advertising usually see alot of spammers

MowerMike

Threads
Three plus days and counting. Still, a spam post on this subforum has not been removed. Time to get a mod posse to exterminate them.

Bwells

Threads
Good idea! Maybe they could be called the Mod Squad. Five new ones today.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've suggested that and volunteered to be one. Deleting spam is about the only thing needing 'moderation' and it needs it badly.

Some of the spam looks like it was composed in advance by a lunatic. Five different posts of jabberwocky by the same person, all posted in about ten to fifteen minutes. Nothing to sell, no links, no nothing other than babble.

I don't know how hard it would be to incorporate in the software used here, but maybe the first five or ten posts should have to be approved by a moderator before being posted on the board. That way you could tell if they really want to talk about lawnmowers or are here to post click bait.