Vintage 1950's Lauson Tecumseh

arch252

Threads
Does anyone have a good contact for Lauson parts. I'm considering restoring a 1956-58 V-25 2.5 hp. It is mounted on a Genoa Mower Co. mower. I've broken it down, the piston, cylinder and valves are in great shape. I found most of the parts I'll need for the Walbro carb and most of the other engine gaskets.

It has a Wico magneto. I haven't been able to inspect the magneto, breakers or condenser yet.

It has a Schnacke 1255 recoil starter that will have to be replaced and I can already tell that's going to be a problem. I wouldn't be opposed to replacing it with a pulley starter.

There are a few other misc. parts I'm going to need.

primerbulb120

Threads
What exactly is wrong with the recoil starter?

arch252

Threads
LOL, you don't want to know! This mower sat outside in the woods for a LONG time. The recoil starter was completely rusted solid. The top of the crankshaft was completely eaten up by rust, I haven't been able to remove the flywheel or crankshaft because of it. It looks like it might have something threaded onto the top of the crankshaft which is what is rusted but it's so rusted I can't tell for sure. I have it soaking now to try to remove it later. Internally the engine looks great and the carb looks very good.

There are actually two identical mowers that were found together. I havent taken the second one apart yet but it isn't locked up. It is missing the starter completely.

cashman

Threads
Some of the old Jacobsen engines used that starter. Briggs used to sell a rope starter pulley that was mostly universal and they may still offer it? Clinton had a bolt-on style recoil starter used on the 498 series that might bolt right on it.