Leak at right rear wheel

JohnP

Threads
On my 28" Series 23 rider, I have found grease on my right rear wheel and tire. I'm sure it's coming from the differential. Any chance that a boot (bearing cap) replacement will stop the leak? Or do I need to replace the seal? If seal, how is it removed?

Thanks much.

Mow Joe

Threads
He posted the series and width. Doesn't everything else in the model pertain to the engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
He posted the series and width. Doesn't everything else in the model pertain to the engine?

If one is a snapper service agent then one would know where to look to check what was about to be posted was correct.
The rest of us have to look it up and to do that we need model numbers because that is how most computer repositories are catalogued.

JohnP

Threads
post complete model number, example: 421614BVE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7075115YP-Axle-Boot-Oil-Seal-Original-Snapper-Part-/261339290124

you need to inspect axle boots for replacement, remove battery & fuel tank & stand mower upright to inspect

Battery and fuel tank have already been removed and mower has been upright.

The grease is not coming from the chain case or axle boots either side of it. It is coming from the differential near the right rear wheel. See page 4 of the attached manual. Item 23 is a seal; item 24 is a boot. The question is, will a new boot prevent grease from migrating out onto the wheel or does the seal need replacing? If so, can I remove the existing seal without disassembling the whole rear end? Thanks.

View attachment Snapper Rider Parts Manual.pdf

JohnP

Threads
Battery and fuel tank have already been removed and mower has been upright.

The question is, will a new boot prevent grease from migrating out onto the wheel or does the seal need replacing? If so, can I remove the existing seal without disassembling the whole rear end? Thanks.

View attachment 30016

I've resolved these questions and thought I would post the answers so as to possibly help someone else with the same questions. The "rubber" boot won't do much to retain grease. Their main purpose is to keep dust and debris out. The seal is what prevents the grease from leaking out.

The seal on the differential side "lives" inside the dust boot/cap. I couldn't find mine, so I'm thinking I discarded it with the old dust boot unknowingly. The seal simply slips onto the axle up against the bushing. Then the boot gets forced over it and C-clamped down. Hope this helps someone.