Toro 6.5 hp Recycler will not self propel

osiff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro recycler with a Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine that a friend of mine gave to me the other day. He told me that it ran good but suddenly would not start. I looked around and then found that the flywheel key was sheared so i got a new one and the mower runs good. It doesn't vibrate indicating a bent or loose crankshaft or connecting rod but if you push the lever down for the self propelled it doesn't move. The gears inside the wheels are fine and if you move the pulley the wheels do spin. I took the cover off where the belt is and had it running and when you push down the bar the belt doesn't move. I thought the belt was old so got a new one and it still doesn't work. I also tried adjusting the cable but it still does nothing... Any suggestions?

rmancini

Threads
Although the drive gears look like they are okay, it doesn't take much wear for them to cease to function.
I recently ran into that very problem on a friend's machine. There were also some transmission issues.
Another thing to consider is that the cable that connects the transmission to the handle is not working properly (frozen in-place or disconnected).
I have a Toro manual with a pretty decent section on transmission repairs. It's in a PDF format.
I'd be glad to email it to you. Just let me know if you want it and where to send it.
Rich