Honda Hr-21

rz918

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HR-21 lawnmower which dates back to approx. 1986. She's an oldie but it is in excellent shape and I have never had a problem until recently. The problem is that after a few minute of running it, it dies and won't start back up until it is cold. By cold I mean hours later. I've had the carb completely cleaned, new plug. When cold it starts first pull and runs real good until she heats up i guess. After researching on the web, I have been led to believe that it could be the ignition coil. However, Honda discontinued them for this model and I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out as far as an alternative coil that I could modify that would work on this mower. It would be a real shame to throw it out as the motor when running is as strong as ever. Thanks.

rz918

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually the part I am after is under the fan cover and cdi unit category and is listed as item number 5. But no matter where I look they do not offer it. I called Honda Canada and they told me that they discontinued that part. So I'm wondering if there is an alternative coil that i could use that would work on this mower.

wpw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HR-21 lawnmower which dates back to approx. 1986. She's an oldie but it is in excellent shape and I have never had a problem until recently. The problem is that after a few minute of running it, it dies and won't start back up until it is cold. By cold I mean hours later. I've had the carb completely cleaned, new plug. When cold it starts first pull and runs real good until she heats up i guess. After researching on the web, I have been led to believe that it could be the ignition coil. However, Honda discontinued them for this model and I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out as far as an alternative coil that I could modify that would work on this mower. It would be a real shame to throw it out as the motor when running is as strong as ever. Thanks.

Dear RZ,

Sorry for my 'english'. I hope you understand my text.
I have the same kind of problem. It started suddenly. When the engine is warm it dies or starts running very unregelar. It sounds like it has combustion while one or both valves are open (sound like a gun shot). Valves margin is OK. Do you think ignition coil is the reason? How to solve this problem?
Looking forward to your answer. Thank you in advance. Best regards from Holland,

WPW

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello wpw.... & WELCOME to LMF...

Check your fuel delivery & fuel quality...
If for any reason the amount of fuel getting to the cylinder drops off, The engine will be running lean. It will hat can cause pre ignition and the back fire you are describing...

This is assuming that the flywheel key way is still intact and not tipped or sheared...:smile:KennyV

wpw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear Thread,

Thank you for your reply.
Fresh and enough fuel, nothing wrong with the flywheel key.
I think the same problem as you had.
How did you solve it?

Best regards from Holland,

Wilfried

wpw

Forum Newbie
Threads
To remind:

Dear Thread,

Thank you for your reply.
Fresh and enough fuel, nothing wrong with the flywheel key.
I think the same problem as you had.
How did you solve it?

Best regards from Holland,

Wilfried