Murray 425008x8 Oil Mounting Screw

Rad89

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Murray 425008x8 (model number). I recently changed the oil in my riding lawnmower. However, I tightened the oil filter too much and the oil mounting screw broke off. I need to somehow change the screw and replace it to even put another oil filter on. How do I go about doing this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You crankcases come in 3 variants
1) no oil filter
2) bolt on oil filter housing
3) cast in oil filter housing.

If your engine is type 1 or 3 life just got very complicated.

Rad89

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the responses guys. It does look like the engine or part of it must be disassembled in order to actually remove the old oil filter adapter and put the new on one. Any know how difficult this really is? Does the entire engine have to be taken apart top down or bottem up?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your engine has a bolt on filter housing it unbolts from the filter side, dead easy, 2 bolts one under the filter and one outside, easy.
In all other cases the complete sump is toast.
It would be really helpful if you went outside, and took a photo.
Then we could tell you exactly where you stand.
As stated in the original response.
Your engine was made with 3 different sumps.

Rad89

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your engine has a bolt on filter housing it unbolts from the filter side, dead easy, 2 bolts one under the filter and one outside, easy.
In all other cases the complete sump is toast.
It would be really helpful if you went outside, and took a photo.
Then we could tell you exactly where you stand.
As stated in the original response.
Your engine was made with 3 different sumps.

I can already tell you there are no bolts around the oil filter adapter on the outside. The closest bolts are on the very bottem of the motor and there are about 10 in total. I think its safe to say those bolts keep the motor together from the bottem up. I will try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well in that case you will need to replace the entire sump.
Along with the sump you will need the sump gasket kit and a sump oil seal.
the engine will have to come out to do the job.
Pulleys off from underneath, flywheel off the top then a full strip down.

gainestruk

Threads
It was mentioned above but I'm going to say again in case someone reading this in the future doesn't know, when replacing oil filter be sure and remove old rubber gasket and wipe block off where old gasket was then rub clean oil on rubber gasket on new filter (I always fill new filter with oil and let it sit about 10-15 minutes and the filter will soak oil up to where you won't make mess) spin new filter on till it touches gasket from that point all it needs is about 1/2 to 3/4 more turn.

The way I do it is tighten filter with one hand, how ever tight you can get with one hand is more than enough, never ever use a filter wrench to tighten.
About half the time when I change oil I can loosen filter with both hands.

To original poster I'm not trying to say anything bad about what you did just trying to keep someone new from making a similar expensive mistake.