CV14ST Stalls

Red Snapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper Rear Engine Rider with a Kohler CV14ST.Randomly it will act like it's running out of gas and stall. When you attempt to restart it turns over, won't start, and usually backfires loudly through the exhaust. Sometimes after sitting it will start and run normally.It did this several times last summer. Then, I replaced the spark plug, drained the gas, cleaned the carb, changed the fuel filter, & checked the gap and ohms (9.08) on the ignition module. I didn't see any clues of anything wrong at that time and it ran fine the rest of the summer? The problem just reared it's ugly head again.When it runs, it runs perfectly and no way of predicting when it will quit again.Thank You in advance for any help in tracking down this intermittent problem.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
electrical problem, pick up a tube of "dielectric tune up grease" from your local auto parts store, one at a time unplug each connection & clean, apply grease at all connections & reconnect one at a time, also check ground strap or cable from engine to chassis making sure it"s tight & secure. let us know how it goes.

Threads
I'm not familiar with your Kohler, but if it's a flathead model as opposed to overhead valve models, this may apply. In the past, I bought a used Toro with a 190 cc Briggs flathead. It would start OK and had good power, but then when it got good and warm it would act like you describe, but no backfire. After spending too much money on parts and too much frustration time, the mower shop I deal at told me that sometimes when a flathead hasn't had proper oil changes, it will coke up the exhaust valve stem, causing it to stick open 'till the engine cools off a bit, then it will run normally 'till it gets good and warm again. Unlike yours, mine was so bad, it did it consistently. I took the exhaust valve out and shur'nuff it was a mess---the intake seemed fine. I used scotch-brite pad and WD40 to try and polish the stem and clean the guide. That helped, but it was too far gone, so I just put in a new (from Briggs) short block. The guy I bought the mower from had an Obama bumper sticker on his car---I sudda known I was getting screwed. Hope this helps.