Kohler CV14ST

Red Snapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper Rear Engine Rider with a Kohler CV14ST.

Randomly it will act like it's running out of gas and stall. When you attempt to restart it turns over, won't start, and usually backfires loudly through the exhaust. Sometimes after sitting it will start and run normally.

It did this several times last summer. Then, I replaced the spark plug, drained the gas, cleaned the carb, changed the fuel filter, & checked the gap and ohms (9.08) on the ignition module. I didn't see any clues of anything wrong at that time and it ran fine the rest of the summer? The problem just reared it's ugly head again.

When it runs, it runs perfectly and no way of predicting when it will quit again.

Thank You in advance for any help in tracking down this intermittent problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Your problem sounds very much like a plug of debris blocking off the fuel outlet at the fuel tank.

Red Snapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I drained the tank and inspected it with a flashlight. Absolutely clean.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please Please Please

DO NOT POST TO MULTIPLE SECTIONS OF THIS FORUM.

1) I gets very confusing
2) Techs get cranky seeing the same email 5 times and ignore it

IF the time limit has not expired please remove the multiple postings.

SO now we have eliminated a fuel plug we need to work out weather we are chasing a fuel or ignition problem
Stick an inline spark tester on the plug and run the engine.
As it dies watch the tester.
If it flashes regularly all the way till the engine dies you have a fuel related problem
If it flashes irregularly and stops before the engine stops turning then you have an ignition problem.

get back with the results.

Red Snapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
My apologies for the multiple posts. I just joined and thought I'd improve my chances of response by covering any related category. Just looking for advise. I know better now.

Mike_Goad

Threads
multiple posts are fine...people can learn to deal and be patient.

since it is random, it could be spark but i doubt it. ohming out today's electronic ignition coils is normally pointless. eliminate issues with grounding, kill wires, magnets, and air gaps. if all that is good, replace the coil.
does the carburetor have a fuel shut off solenoid? that might stick or for whatever reason, stop getting power to it and it shuts off. this could be a wire, connection, or ignition switch, or even a ground issue.

Red Snapper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the long delay in responding to this thread.

Some health issues had me sidelined.

The engine "stopping" issue ended up being a bad coil. By removing the ignition wire from the coil I eliminated the starting system which isolated the coil. When it stalled again after disconnecting the wire I was pretty sure it was the coil. After replacing the coil it has run flawlessly for months.

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for letting us know what the final disposition was.