2015 Troy Bilt Bronco problems

chucketn

Threads
I have downloaded the repair manual that Mike linked to. I printed pages 57-59 pertaining to changing the drive belts. I actually have 2 new belts ($60!) as I read the owners manual that I downloaded, and it said to change both drive belts at the same time. The original order track said the belts would take 10 days to arrive. As I waited for the belts, I grew impatient and bough the top belt only from Lowe's, another $32!.
The repair manual says the belts should last for years. As the top belt failed after only 6 months, I have a couple questions. How important is changing both belts?
What could have caused the failure in the first place? The steel core of the failed belt was broken and pulled out for about 1/3 of the belt circumference. the belt appears to have had half its width chewed off.
Last question. The bracket that the idler is on is shown in the manual as having a slot where the pivot bolt is. Does this mean it should be adjusted? Or does this bracket slide in operation? There is no procedure for it that I can find in the repair manual.
The repair manual is dated 2010, so this series machine has been around a while. Someone here must have seen this failure before, and understand what caused it.
Just for giggles, I took a picture of the damaged belt next to a new belt, and added a picture of the idler bracket.

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

Chuck

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That type of belt failure comes from something getting in the path of the belt. Gumballs Cattails sticks sometimes rocks. Check for damage to your v pulley's. Also look for anything lodged inside the pulley. I say this because yours would not be the first. I have first hand knowledge of cattails and gumballs.

chucketn

Threads
That type of belt failure comes from something getting in the path of the belt. Gumballs Cattails sticks sometimes rocks. Check for damage to your v pulley's. Also look for anything lodged inside the pulley. I say this because yours would not be the first. I have first hand knowledge of cattails and gumballs.

Well, I removed the deck and jacked up the front of the Bronco. I got under it to where I could look tings over again. The idler bracket was jammed up against the frame. I loosened the pivot bolt, but it wouldn't still move. So, I proceeded to take off the new belt. I just happened to see the part # on the belt, and kiss my Grits! it's the wrong #!I looked at the pair that arrived yesterday, and there it was, the correct belt! I could probably quote the belt #'s in my sleep, I even wrote them down and put them in my wallet before going to Lowe's to get just the top belt. Must have had a senior moment as I bought the wrong one!

I got the correct belt installed and am now ready to hang the deck. Herself will be happy, as her car will be back in the garage tonight, and she won't have to hear me bitch anymore.

Thanks to everyone that advised, tried to guide me right, pointed to the manuals, and listened to(read) my rants... My sincere apologies, and thanks.

Chuck

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hope all goes well.