Have you ever been "shot" by your lawnmower?

Greenblades

Threads
I was looking up mower mods and came across this article:
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980508173109data_trunc_sys.shtml

It describes how mowers can propel an item as fast as a gun can. It also gives a case study of a four year old shot by a mower with a piece of chain link. This is one of the reasons I would be nervous about letting my nine year old mow. At least not without a bullet proof vest. :wink:

Threads
When I was a kid (sometime in the 60's) My grandfather was mowing the lawn and he hit a dog bone with the mower, well it flew out and hit me on the ankle, and cut me in two places on the ankle:eek:

noma

Threads
Hi

I think that's why, when you are mowing you don't want any one around to get hurt for the safety of every one around.The person on the mower should be ok if they are operation in a safely mater.I think it's how big of a hurry a person get to get the mowing job done need safety first

mamaA

Threads
We had someone locally (about 15 years ago) who was killed by his neighbor's lawn mower. I remember hearing about the story when it happened. Crazy stuff and crazy to think it really does happen.

gator6x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
A high velocity .22 caliber bullet travels at 1215 FPS. A modern day lawn mower usually has a blade tip speed of 19,000 - 20,000FPM. I personally do not want to be in front of the discharge of a lawn mower when it is running. A lawn mower can hurl small rocks and sticks at a velocity greater than or equal to that of a .22 caliber rifle. This is what bring the thought of "What Is He/She Thinking" when I see someone mowing with a small child in the yard.

For information on the velocity of a .22 caliber bullet visit this Web site.

http://http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A high velocity .22 caliber bullet travels at 1215 FPS. A modern day lawn mower usually has a blade tip speed of 19,000-20,000FPM. A lawn mower can hurl small rocks and sticks at a velocity greater than or equal to that of a .22 caliber rifle. [/URL]

Oops... Not nearly the same velocity. Not even close... feet per Min vs. feet per Sec. have a difference factor of 60.
The blade tip speed is normally below 18000 fpM. ... BUT even at 20,000 fpM that is only 333 fpS. (Much slower than most BB guns.) Tho it is still unpleasant to get pecked by a BB gun.

I only bring this up because shooting guns is much too maligned as it is... I have spent a lot of years working with exterior ballistics.

Another thing to consider is the reason bullets are made of lead, it is harder to get a dense heavy object moving fast... BUT it will not shed the velocity as quickly as a lighter projectile ( like for instance a rock, wire or twig)... Stay safe, use common (or not so common ) sense... keep your kids, pets and fine crystal at a reasonable distance when mowing, all should be fine. KennyV

Rip

Threads
I've been hit so hard by stuff that a mower slung and I was scared to look where it hit.:eek:

rip

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Attachments

• PICT0022.jpg
    PICT0022.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 30

Greenblades

Threads
That just put an image in my head that made me actually cover my eyes. I can only imagine the stories that some people have to tell!!

bret

Threads
When I have ever mowed I walked away from it because I always found if I hit something it was flying back to hit me, like others have said, it hurts when you get hit by something.