Rebuild time

Lawnboy77

Threads
You won't need a piston stop. When assembling an F series just install the piston and rod to the crank prior to pushing the piston into the cylinder. This will prevent the piston from traveling too far down in the jug and possibly locking itself into the cylinder.

In regards to converting the plastic carb to a metal Walbro. Yes you can do this fairly easily. Just use the parts catalogues for your 10518 and a 1993 model 10515 to determine what parts will be required. Should just be a carb, air box and throttle cable from a 10515. I converted a 1997 F series model 10401 to a 1993 model 10400 and those parts listed above were pretty much all I needed except maybe some hardware and an optional throttle/choke decal.

fabricgator

Threads
Any of these tools would put a chamfer on the ports. A round needle file may work also.

The Lawn-Boy Mechanics Handbook doesn't say to replace the connecting rod bearing liner, but I'd inspect them for signs of damage.

It does say to install the Lawn-Boy piston stop (part# 677389), as it's possible to insert the piston too far into the cylinder causing the top ring to become lodged.

Jeff

I would do like Jeff suggested and try to chamfer the ports with the back end of the Sharpie. It might take a little while longer, but you don't run the risk of going too far too fast...

kmaysob

Threads
Well, I was all set to order and realized I was looking at a 92-4923 piston with rings. Cheapest I can find a piston is $100 with rod and pistons. I may watch ebay for a while.

jp1961

Threads
Check out NOS parts haul thread, you may be able to get a F short block cheaper than the individual parts needed for the over haul.

Jeff

kmaysob

Threads
Check out NOS parts haul thread, you may be able to get a F short block cheaper than the individual parts needed for the over haul.

Jeff

I Replied to his post. That may be the better way to
Go. I looked at a potential donor yesterday on
Craigslist . I had the idea that I could put the extra parts in the shed for down the road. Turned out to not really be much good on the machine and it wouldn't start for me.

kmaysob

Threads

Jeff
In talks with him about the short block on the lower right. My machine is self propelled , is there anything special about the shaft ? I checked mine and do not see a key way.

kmaysob

Threads
Well its almost finished. Received the short block in the mail today after usps made a mess of things. Swapped my reeds in, installed crank seals and fully assembled the machine tonight. I still need to order the carb gov. parts and now a primer. I was all excited to run it, filled it with fuel and put my finger through the primer bulb when pressed. Got the parts on order.

I'd like to give a shout out to Unclelee. Top notch guy. I would do business with him any day! Thanks again Lee!

unclelee

Threads
Glad to help!! Hope to hear about a running mower soon.
Lee

kmaysob

Threads
Finally got all of the carb parts for the throttle control installed. Mower runs great and has tons more power. Unfortunately, it looks to never have the power my duraforce has.

unclelee

Threads
Finally got all of the carb parts for the throttle control installed. Mower runs great and has tons more power. Unfortunately, it looks to never have the power my duraforce has.
Duraforce is a beast!!
You should post a video